THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    257 Roberts Ackley or 257 Ackley 40 degree....????

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts Ackley or 257 Ackley 40 degree....????
 Login/Join

<RVB>
posted
Anyone have any experience between these two cartridges. Reamer Rentals lists both so there must be some difference.........

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
RVB,
the difference in PERFORMANCE is imaginary, at best. Find which one you can get dies for, at the best prices, and go with that one. www.ch4d.com is a good place to start, and shawnie can send her print to dave (RR to CH4D) to make sure you have the right set of dies.

btw, I have loaded a std 257 for many years, and I get pretty good results, 100 gr at 3100, and 120s at just under 3000....

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
My reamer is marked "257 Ackley Roberts, 40 deg".

My reference books shows 257 Roberts Imp (30deg), 257 Ackley (40deg), and 257 Roberts RCBS (26deg).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 AI and its a wonderful rifle for everything from Deer and Antelope to long range varmint shooting. I can come close to 25/06 performance. I load bullets from 85gr to 117gr. IMHO the Aclky is a vast improvement over the std 257 Roberts which is under loaded.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Jeffeosso,
"The difference in performance is imaginary at best"?????? You have got to be kidding or you have never compared ballistics between the "Bob" and the Ackley Improved!

<Lightnin>
posted
Jeffe,
I just took the time to more completely read the original question and your reply and would most humbly ask you to ignore my previous post. Jim

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Lightnin,
Thanks for the retraction... and no offense taken. If you like, you can hit the "pad and pen" icon on your first post, and edit it.

cheers
jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 50 centerfire rifles and have been strugling to get my first 1" group for 10 years.

I just built a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved, and I have got a few .6" 5 shot groups in a row, without load development.

Maybe it is not the cartridge that helped, I don't know yet.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote