Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer Grip Cap
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Does anyone know where I can find one of these in good shape? I recently picked up a 1903 MS Carbine that is in awesome shape except for the grip cap.

Or, where could I order some buffalo horn or something else that I could fit/file myself.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

You can get buffalo horn from New England Custom Guns and, perhaps, Brownells.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Galazan's might hekp too.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul and Sharon Dressel offer 3 sizes of nice steel grip caps in a style that would go quite well with your M-S. Who knows, one may match perfectly!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
This one is an odd size - 1.05"x1.69".

Part of it is good, so I'm going to try and make a reverse latex mold and fix the other side.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law found a micro-router bit that is very close to the original profile - so he is making a copy out of gaboon ebony for me.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's the finished product - made from Ebony. Probably should have used Buff horn, but still good. Phone pic, so a little blurry.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice work. I wish I could get one for my 9.5X57 stock taht I am working on.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Go here and see what they have:

http://vintagegungrips.net/vintage-grip-caps.html