Notify
Tools

Re: Which trigger?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted
Cold Bore,
What are you going to do with the Jewell triggers?
I might be interested if they are for sale. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS-

Depending on what you plan on doing with the rifles, and exactly how light you want to go, I'd go with the Shilens. The Competition model is a sweet trigger, at half the cost of the Jewell, and I actually like it better. The shoe on the Jewell is just too narrow for me.

If you want a little heavier, go with the "standard" Shilen.

Shilen has become my favorite trigger. I actually have two Jewells in M700's that will be coming out to be replaced by Shilens...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Now, I don't know anything about these parts as far as what is compatible or what needs modification in order to fit properly so I was after some guidance.

Could someone explain to me what all the various options mean exactly?

All of the "varieties" of the Jewell are the same basic trigger. You can get three different springs to vary the pull weight in "rough" steps. Then all are finely adjustable within their limits/range of pull weights.

The bolt release is nice, at least on the Remingtons, otherwise your bolt will come all the way out each time if you're not careful. Think of it as a bolt release AND bolt stop...

The safeties are personal preference. Most hunters or "conventional" shooters prefer a top safety, close to what the factory provides. A bottom safety is a bit "different" for most normal shooters, but has it's place in some instances.

The left & right versions of the safety are for left & right handed shooters. If you are putting one on say your Model 7, be sure to order right handed if you are right handed, otherwise it will be on the "wrong" side, hard to use, and nowhere to fit. (The stock will have a small cut out relief for it on the appropriate side). Of course, if you're left handed, order the LH version.

Hope this helps....