Find
Notify
Tools

Popes wheel on shotgun case extractor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
What is the purpose of the popes wheel on a manual case extractor?

If I had to guess, it’s some kind of camming gear that helps remove the case from the chamber in the event the case head separates during manual extraction. But that’s purely a guess.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an extractor with this description on the British website of a seller of such bits and pieces.

quote:
A 12B bronze centre fire cartridge extractor fitted with Popes Patent wheel (to remove any portion of the paper case jammed in the breech) marked Bussey & Co. London and a 12B pinfire cartridge extractor by W. Bartram Sheffield. Very good condition.

http://www.finesportingcollect...ltd.co.uk/access.htm

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very good. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In truth Baxter B I had no idea either. I've never actually handled one with such a wheel.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some of cutting wheel so that you cut a stuck case. First cut off the head, and then run it down into the chamber and then hook the remaining bits out. You are doing this whilst your gentlemen continues to shoot with the No2 of pair whilst cursing you for having no1 of a pair out of action as streams of phaesants or Grouse fly overhead.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nah...HEYM! You just use No2 and No3! LOL!

Here's some people trying to re-create Lord Ripon's feat:

https://youtu.be/YMxWAji5LvM