New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: best muzzle brake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you are going to go the Muzzle Brake route, I highly recommend the Vais Muzzlebrake. Website is www.muzzlebrakes.com

Ron, is a great person and has a great product.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old friend(75) who uses a BSA in 308 he has difficulty in controlling the barrell flip, I was going to have a suppressor fitted, but he does not have the strength needed for the extra weight(680gms). So I suggested to have a muzzle brake fitted. But which one? any suggestions?

Many thanks
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here may be a good reason for the new "Managed Recoil" ammo from Remmington (if it can be had in Scotland). Otherwise, the most common brake on sporting rifles here is the KDF style. Most serve well regardless of maker.

If you have not shot one, be aware that they are incredibly loud compared to a smooth muzzle and generate significant lateral shockwaves. If your friend is shooting on a club firing line he may not be appreciated by shooters on either side.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
There is also MagnaPort which doesn't add any weight. Whatever system you decide upon, be aware they all are loud.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks all

I am aware of the noise factor but this o'l boy is as deaf as a post!!
He only shoots on his farm so having a brake fitted is not going to affect his fellow shooters.
once again thanks

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle brakes are all pretty much the same, the bigger the better is the rule, but the bigger the uglier is also a trueism....KDF and Vias are excellent choices, and they are very effective.

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 30 Caliber Mag Fan. If you're going to put a break on it Vais is the way to go. They cost more but are worth it.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have installed many brands of muzzle brakes. The Vais brake has almost no increase in noise at all. The recoil reduction is up to 50%, depending on the cartridge. The quality in material and machining is first rate.

If you have a small diameter barrel and would like a slim line design where the brake is the same size as the barrel I recomend Shrewd brand sold by Brownells. The recoil reduction is good and the noise increase is not that great.

Both brakes will eliminate almost all the muzzle jump and torque effect. What recoil is left will be nearly straight back.

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote