New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Patterns/duplicating
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, here is a question for you. I think that I need to get a new stockk for my rifle, something with a more classical african style with drop in the butt so that the rifle throws up with my eyes in line with the sites, instead of lined up for a scope. I have heard reference to a couple of you who have classic rifles sending them to the stockmakers on the forums to duplicate the pattern. Where could I find a semi-inletted stock for a 1917 in one of these classic shapes?

or is there anybody that knows of a person with a duplicator that if I got a blank for them they could duplicate one onto it and then either do the semi-inletting or I could send it to somebody else for that? I am trying to stay in this for not a ton of money. I thought about going synthetic, but don't know of any companys that make a synthetic stock with the right kind of but for what I need.

Any and all input, recommendations etc. would be very helpful and appreciated.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
I notice you are in CA, so check out Great American Gunstocks in Yuba City, CA (NE of Sacramento). I bought a stock from them about 2 years ago for a Mauser and they have a duplicating machine. At the time, they were doing custom duplicating.

http://www.gunstocks.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red, I believe what you are are looking for is a pattern to have a stock cut from. You will need to start with a semi inlet and then add or remove wood to fit your needs. Once you get it where you want it, you can select a blank and have a stock cut from it. If you want the inletting to be very close there is only one duplicator that can do the job and that is a Hoenig duplicator and it has to be working from a pattern where the action is glassed in. Most folks with a hoenig will charge in the $200 range for the work and it is worth it. You can not go to someone with a duplicator and expect them to build anything other than a semi (95%) inlet for you unless you have a pattern that is very close to what you want. I do not do dupliating and never will. I think I have found someone to do my work for me but time will tell.

If you are just looking for a semi inlet,there are lots of folks out there doing it. Bear in mind that it is a long ways from inletted and the worst of the effort is ahead of you and not on the inletters floor. Good luck.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote