Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Persian Mauser Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
Persian Mausers are beautiful pieces! If it's in decent shape, please don't "customize" it. If you do, I don't want to know about it!

(I want one. Just can't spring for it at the moment.)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read many post here on AR about converting a military mauser to a custom rifle. Realizing of course that a custom rifle will bring maybe half of one's investment upon sale, I say, "What the hell? Here we go again!" Gunsmiths have to eat too, you know. I have a Persian Mauser that is just burning a hole in my pocket to have it made into a nice 30.06. I talked to Brian at Kreiger Barrels the other day about the cost of another barrel for it, installed. And, we discussed the avail space in the magazine well for the cartridge I want. I loaded four rounds (30.06) with Fail Safe and Sierra Pro Hunters in the mag. Then cycled the bolt, carefully, because the cases would have probably stuck in the chamber. They cycled very nicely out of the magazine and had about 1/16th inch clearance on the front when loaded. Even the Nosler Ballistice Tips with the pointy ends gave ample clearance for smooth cycle. So, I know that the mag will facilitate my needs for the cartridge I desire. Somewhere earlier here on AR one of our famous and much talented gunsmiths converted a Mauser to a sporting rifle. He even welded/ground-out/or converted in some manner the stripper clip guide in the top of the action but I can't remember whether the action had to be re-hardened after the work. I'm assuming it did. If anyone can remember who did it or know of anyone who would like to take on the job and not break the bank but still do a good job let me know. This is all under the ASSUMPITON that the Persain Mauser action is fit to the task. I've heard the Persian Mauser is one that is sought after for one of the more reliable actions. Please feel free to clue my in if I'm barking up the wrong tree. For those of you out there who are knashing their teeth concerning me destroying another piece of "history", the barrel is kaput. Thanks and Good Shooting! Mike

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
First of all the persian is one of the finest mausers ever made, the exception may be the argentine, mainly because of the real hindged floor plate.

As for using your gun, I would say it all depends on what you have now as to weather it would be worth it or not. If you have a complete rifle I would say it would prolly be better to sell it, and get a 98/22 or vz24 mauser, which have the same action even made by the same factory, most persians even if they arn't in the best of shape usually bring about 150$ whereas a 98/22 or vz24 can be found for less than $100.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutley, gunsmiths need to eat too. A persian is definitly up to the task at hand. Seems as though you know the difference between a "custom" and cutting off the full length military stock and slapping on a scope. And you are right on about the cost. If cost vs. resale was the driving factor, we would never do it.

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
FourTails:

I sent you a PM.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Junkie, have not received the PM. Please try again or email me at mcalvert2@cox.net. Thanks, Mike

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Made by CZ at Brno just like the Vz 24's. Fine action, as are those of all the rifles produced by CZ over their long history.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
FourTails;

I tried to E-mail you. I used the link in your posts and got a "could not find" message. I tried the addy in your profile and got an "unsucessful" message when I checked Outlook Express this evening.

I would like to inquire about your take off barrel if it is still in good shape (povided it is the 29" version) I am primarily interested in the bore condition, the outside doesn't matter as long as there is no deep pitting.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, were these made by CZ for Iran or made in Iran under license?

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
made by CZ for iran

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
a short CZ history here.
cz history

Posts: 12 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote