New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need some help- I have been tinkering with guns for several years and am considering trying to re-barrel a M700. I knopw I will need an action wrench, barrel vise and the proper headspace gauges. My question is if I order a pre-threaded short chambered barrel can I install this and finish ream it to the proper headspace? I don't have a lathe. I remember a good magizine article from a few years back with step by step instructions on how to do this but I cannot find it again. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks-nimrod308

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nimrod

Yes, you can finish ream the chamber by hand.

But, if the barrel tenon and bolt nose recess do not fit properly you will need a lathe to correct everything.

You will not know how well everything will fit until you try the barrel. Most short-chambered barrels will work out OK but do not expect the fit to be very close. A factory type fit is the best you can expect.

It's none of my business, but by the time you buy a vise, action wrench, headspace gauge, finish reamer, and barrel, you maybe could have paid a good smith for a custom re-barrel.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod308:
I need some help- I have been tinkering with guns for several years and am considering trying to re-barrel a M700. I knopw I will need an action wrench, barrel vise and the proper headspace gauges. My question is if I order a pre-threaded short chambered barrel can I install this and finish ream it to the proper headspace? I don't have a lathe. I remember a good magizine article from a few years back with step by step instructions on how to do this but I cannot find it again. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks-nimrod308

Keep this in mind when deciding, if you opt to go the prefab, short chambered route, and you remove too much material from the chamber, you will need a lathe to correct the mistake.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheechako- you're right about the cost. But then again I've never been one to do what makes sense. I have several M700 rifles and this may not be a one time thing. Guess it depends on what happens the first time. Thanks for the info guys-nimrod308

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The recommendations of having someone else do the work are quite valid. Unless you have an overpowering desire to do the work yourself, it would be cost effective to have someone else do it considering you do not have a lathe.
PAC-NOR makes great barrels and offer fitting service to boot. Check this out;

http://www.pac-nor.com/pricelist/

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote