THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 Classic .375 H&H to .416 Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlmen,
I have a Winchester Stainless Classic in .375 H&H Magnum that is in line to be sent to John Ricks for bedding a McMillan WSG and Williams One Piece Bottom Metal. It has taken awhile to get the barreled action, stock, and bottom metal ready for the trip and I have an interest in going to a .416 Remington Magnum. Is there a problem presented in such a conversion? Specifically the length of the Express Action with a Standard Cartridge? Your input would be appreciated. Thank you, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, same action length for both 375 & 416, no problem.

A "standard length" M70 is the 300 Win Mag version, it has a spacer in the magazine.

The 375 H&H Length has no spacer, has a longer follower, shorter ejector and bolt stop and the rear bridge is machined rearward. These items are just the ticket for a 416 Rem or 458 Lott cartridge. All your 375 needs is a new barrel and a little work on the feed ramp and front of the action rails.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That what I did...I just stuck another barrel in it and started working on the feed etc. and it just didn't need anything, so I decided if it ain't broke don't fix it...It has never even stumbled in the last 5 or 6 years....I wrote it off ot poop happens.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Piece of cake for a smith like John Ricks.

Doug
------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 04-03-2002).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate the value of your experience. I will give the recoil issue a bit of thought and get back with Mr. Ricks.
Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote