Find
Notify
Tools

Big 5 Mauser rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I saw an ad for surplus M24/47 "Mauser" rifles from Big 5 and am wondering if it'd be worth it to get a couple for my boys.

I'd probably not mess with them but if they were unhappy with them or wanted a different rifle later, can they be re-barreled for a '06?
There are so many different "Mausers" it's hard to keep straight which ones are ok for re-barreling to modern cartidges. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The 24/47 was a good action when made, might stil be. I personally like them but, they are intermediate length and are not the best choice for an -06.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The magazine box is about 3.23" which is a little tight for 30/06. Nothing wrong with the 8x57mm round. I believe Boyd's makes sporter stocks for these actions. S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one today, didn't really need it but the price was right and they aren't bad for shooters and/or a someday project rifle. Like z1r and South40 mentioned, they are a tad short for the '06. Nothing wrong with an 8x57, but if I was to rebarrel I would stay in the "x57" or 308 family of cartridges.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did it cost more for the Calif transfer fees than the rifle itself?

Might as well add 100 bucks to the price of any gun bought in Ca , What a rip off.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Might as well add 100 bucks to the price of any gun bought in Ca , What a rip off.

No kidding. I think the CA fees total about 24.00 or so and the rest is the freaking FFL's ripping us off. I don't think they should do it for free (unless your related) but some of them are flat out thiefs and if people would stop paying them maybe they would come back down to earth with their prices.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:

Not quite that bad. $25 transfer fee, must show proof of ownership of a state approved gunsafe, if no safe must purchase state approved gun safety lock. Plus sales tax and I gotta wait 10 frikkin' days before I can pick it up. Oh yeah, a PO Box on your ID doesn't cut it, must have physical address and proof of it. If people in the rest of the country don't pay attention, this sort of crap will eventually start showing up in more and more states accross the country. It's all part of the Anti's General plan. Make it difficult and expensive (by way of "fees") to buy a gun, and they hope enough people will say screw it, it's not worth the hassle. A sorry state of affairs.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
So, do these 24/47's have the "new" serial number stenciled or electropenciled or whatever they do?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
So, do these 24/47's have the "new" serial number stenciled or electropenciled or whatever they do?

Don't know, didn't bother to look what they did with the serial# as the rifles themselves are not "all matching", which doesn't bother me one way or the other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I pulled the barrel off a 24/47 and the breech was not flat like a normal Mauser barrel.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I think I pulled the barrel off a 24/47 and the breech was not flat like a normal Mauser barrel.

They're not, they've got an extractor cut/notch milled in them. Yugo 48's have the same cut.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Don't know, didn't bother to look what they did with the serial# as the rifles themselves are not "all matching", which doesn't bother me one way or the other.

I don't care that much about all matching either but what I do care about is this new practice of etching in a "new" usually too long serial number on the receiver. Far too ugly for a custom rifle. For strictly a shooter it is fine but not for building on IMHO.

tnekkcc, these are "safety breeched".

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't care that much about all matching either but what I do care about is this new practice of etching in a "new" usually too long serial number on the receiver. Far too ugly for a custom rifle. For strictly a shooter it is fine but not for building on IMHO..

I'll check it out when I pick the rifle up and let ya know just how bad it is.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not quite that bad. $25 transfer fee, must show proof of ownership of a state approved gunsafe, if no safe must purchase state approved gun safety lock. Plus sales tax and I gotta wait 10 frikkin' days before I can pick it up. Oh yeah, a PO Box on your ID doesn't cut it, must have physical address and proof of it. If people in the rest of the country don't pay attention, this sort of crap will eventually start showing up in more and more states accross the country. It's all part of the Anti's General plan. Make it difficult and expensive (by way of "fees") to buy a gun, and they hope enough people will say screw it, it's not worth the hassle. A sorry state of affairs.

Its so nice to live in Texas...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the replys. I'm thinking the 7x57 or 257 Roberts would be my choice option. At this age the boys are impressed with the k98 but finding one for cheap seems impossible!

It was just a thought. I may do it yet. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's so-o-o-o much nicer to live in Nevada. We're the ultimate gunowner state. I heard on KKOH radio out of Reno one day that the sherriff signs off on four or five machinegun licenses every month. Gotta love that! I used to live in Northern Virginia. I moved to Nevada to have a place to shoot and love it here. No place better!!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Northern nevada. Usually I just drive threw But I have done some Chukar hunting outside of winimucca acouple times. Id like to shoot one of those antilopes I always see near Ryepatch area

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
would this action be suitable for a shorter big bore - 416 taylor for exanple??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote