Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser DGR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has, I just couldn't find it in the archives.

I'm building a .458 DGR on a VZ24 action. I am agonizing over the stock. The guy who is doing the work for me is HIGHLY recommending a composite stock. I already have two other rifles with plastic stocks and was really looking forward to having a classic walnut stock on my safari rifle.

Any tips, ideas or suggestions about this? Are the concerns about stock splitting realistic? The last thing I want is to have the thing break in Africa (or here for that matter).

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Read the thread on the Jack Lott stock article, follow the link, and print the article. As the article clearly states, a poorly put together would stock on a 458 will go to splinters.

I'm of the firm belief a 458 should have a second recoil lug on the barrel, cross bolts behind the action recoil lug, between the magazene and trigger, and additionally .030" clearance behind the tang. Start with a good piece of walnut. With all that done, you will have no problems.

My impression is, your gunbuilder doesn't know how to make a good wood stock, but at least he knows that and admits it, instead of tackling a project he isn't equiped for.

Both my replacement 458 lott and 500 Jeffrey will be stocked in wood, it would be at least a misdemeanor to do otherwise

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
How much are you willing to spend? A wood stock done right will be significantly more expensive than a plastic stock. Like you, I prefer wood but there is an associated cost especially for a non-factory DGR.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Read the thread on the Jack Lott stock article, follow the link, and print the article. As the article clearly states, a poorly put together would stock on a 458 will go to splinters.

I'm of the firm belief a 458 should have a second recoil lug on the barrel, cross bolts behind the action recoil lug, between the magazene and trigger, and additionally .030" clearance behind the tang. Start with a good piece of walnut. With all that done, you will have no problems.

My impression is, your gunbuilder doesn't know how to make a good wood stock, but at least he knows that and admits it, instead of tackling a project he isn't equiped for.

Both my replacement 458 lott and 500 Jeffrey will be stocked in wood, it would be at least a misdemeanor to do otherwise

I think at least a class"D" felony would be more appropriate! :

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Africa2003:
Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm sure it has, I just couldn't find it in the archives.

I'm building a .458 DGR on a VZ24 action. I am agonizing over the stock. The guy who is doing the work for me is HIGHLY recommending a composite stock. I already have two other rifles with plastic stocks and was really looking forward to having a classic walnut stock on my safari rifle.

Any tips, ideas or suggestions about this? Are the concerns about stock splitting realistic? The last thing I want is to have the thing break in Africa (or here for that matter).

I just finished up a VZ-24 in 458WM!! I teflon/moly coated the bbl/action and put it in a Bell & Carlson Clasic Stock!!!!
Looks GOOD, Shoots GOOD, Is GOOD

Have FUN!!!!

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should go to somebody else for the stock. What does a good custom walnut stock cost?

I'm 6'7" and usually need the LOP extended anyway.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Chic (Customstox) break the news.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 458 on a Mark X action about 10 years ago, I used a cheap Richards Microfit stock, under the action and barrel, I hogged out extra wood, and used Acraglass gel on it. It is sub MOA, and shoot's all bullets, to same point at 100yds, it's been fired hundreds of times, and never cracked.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Africa2003,

I would suggest that you contact Claude Gatewood of Gatewood custom stocks. His web address is www.claudegatewood.com. He is a top notch stocker and has experience stocking big bores up to at least the 500 AHR and 505 Gibbs level. He is also very reasonable. I would guess that he would cut you a stock for less than $800 including the cost of a decent peice of wood!

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
All my big bores are stocked in Turkish Walnut except for one laminated stock...I can't imagine me ever owning a plastic stock. I see no advantage to plastic...On the rare ocassions that I build a stock for someone else I charge $1600 labor plus the cost of the wood and that ranges from $600 to $1000 normally....that is about the going rate average for custom stocks today...Like everything else you get just what you pay for, but thats not to say a less expensive gun will not shoot the same critter....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Mark,

I think some others posts are on the right track. The 458 has been around longer than synthetic stocks and they aren't all broke.

Lots of walnut comes out of Northern Cal, you may be on the right track as to getting someone else to do the stock.

I'll polk around and see what I can find out.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner