Notify
Tools

Sako AV trigger issues
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy all,

I bought an AV 338 awhile back, as new, it hadn't been fired a lot. It appeared to have a non-magnum stock on it. I found a laminated sako stock on ebay and bought it. I've mated the pair and have noticed that the left side of the trigger is contacting the trigger guard and causing detriment to my trigger pull and reset. I haven't remounted the original stock to see if it did that there as well. I guess I know why the stock was for sale on ebay!!

What are my options? Is there any adjustment in loosening the trigger group? Bending the trigger, filing away some of the guard, or ? Reworking the stock would be a nightmare.

TIA, Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A-V's came with two different triggers. The earlier A-V came with the long-time Sako #4 trigger. Late A-Vs' came with a trigger similar to those used on the Tikka. The later trigger takes up more space, leaving virtually no gap between its housing and the magazine, therefore late A-V stocks have no wood bridge between the magazine cut and the trigger cut (and used a stock crossbolt to reinforce the stock at that point).

Check to see if you have the late trigger and are attempting to put it into an early stock. If so, you'll have to remove some wood from the interior of the stock.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey SC, you sure contribute some interesting information! I had no idea the AV came with two different triggers.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy SC,

It does have the early trigger and also the later stock with the crossbolt. however I am talking about the actual side of the trigger itself being in contact with the trigger guard opening. I'll get out the 2# sledge and give it a whack.

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Well, The quick fix was to use a shim under the trigger. I folded a small strip of aluminum can and put it under the upper trigger housing frame. I positioned it behind where it pins to the receiveron the side that was touching. That came close to centering the trigger in the guard. Cinched it down and I have my clean Sako trigger pull!

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Here are a few photos of the 2 trigger assemblies

Old style

New style

New style trigger assemblies will fit in old style stocks, you just have to open the stock up & sometimes file the tip of the trigger down if the wrist of the stock is shallow so it doesn't hit the guard. I had to do this on my 264 to get it to fit in a Brown precision stock I have that was for an old style trigger. A little grinding fixed it right up.

The action in the photo is an old style & not the one I fitted to this stock.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy Wookie, great shots. My trigger is the first one on the left. My issue wasn't with the length of the trigger, but I guess the cant. It was rubbing against the upper trigger guard where the trigger goes into the rifle. I have a 7mm rem mag classic with the new style trigger. I could not find an allen wrench to fit it to adjust it. Is it a half mm wrench i.e., 3.5 or 4.5 mm?

PS how do you like the Talley's? I've been looking for a medium set of Sako windage adjustables and or a set of Warnes for my AII Forester.

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
Talley rings are great. I love them. Looks sharp too.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote