THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

checkering line per inch preferences????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Just wondering what you all like. I've only had one stock checkered before. I went with a 24 line job. It turned beautiful, but I don't think it grips as well as it should. It's on a .257WSM so it wasn't real important since it doesn't kick hard at all.
The next one I'll need done is for a 9.3X62 which should have more recoil and was wondering if I might be better off with less lines per inch, 16, 18, 22. What do you'll think?
Sherry Abraham did the work below. I love it.  -

[ 07-23-2003, 14:35: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 20 LPI for the guns I hunt with. 16 is a bit too course. I only use 16 or 18 if the wood is soft or it's a make over for an old one that came that way.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
TC1,

Very nice checkering job. Eighteen lpi at one time was about standard for a rifle. Standard for shotguns was 24 lpi. I think a nice stock grain is one of the prettiest around. On your stock, the 24 lpi doesn't obscure the grain in the wood. The 28 lpi I had on a stock, was in my opinion, the prettiest checkering job I've ever seen. The stock was of the traditional american style, in exhibition grade. The buttstock and pistol grip had a burl figure. Just in front of the magazine the grain was straight an tight. If you're interested in a coarser checkering that is very attractive, look into the 18 lpi french skip-line style. Thanks for the picture. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Overall, I like 22 best. Your rifle looks just fine though.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Say 16-18 lpi and I think pistols and revolvers.

Give me 20-22 on a hunting rifle and 22-24 on a nice over/under.

Some depends on the wood. What it will take well without fuzzing badly and whether the figure is striking enough to warrant the finer checkering. Figure/streaking comes through finer checkering better.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 to 24 LPI for a custom rifle, it has feel but doesn't obscure the grain....I personally like 22 LPI....

Also depends on the woods hardness and grain...Some black and Claro will not take 22 to 24 LPI well...20 may be better.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote