New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing/Filling Pressed Checkering ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello members: I am redoing a Marlin .22 stock which will eventually be painted and I would like to remove or fill the pressed/impressed checking. Any suggestions or experiences about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the latest Shooting Times Mag.
Article there on cutting impressed into a sort of cut checkering.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could try to steam it out, but if it were me, I would just fill it in with epoxy.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Carmichaels "Amateur Gunsmithing" has a chapter with pics about turning it into regular checkering.

Posts: 1681 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he wants to FILL IN the checkering not cut it deeper.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
You don't like that squirrel on your marlin? Smiler. You can fill it in with Acraglas gel or any kind of epoxy that will stay in place. You want to make sure it has a good grip so it won't hurt to drill a bunch of small holes in the area (like you are working with bondo). If the finish is in good shape though you can just rough it up with some course sandpaper and clean any oil off the surface so the epoxy will stick.

Fill it in , sand it smooth and paint it. You almost can't screw it up because if you do, just fill it in again and resand it. Btw, textured paint that is made for outdoor furniture is pretty tough and has the right texture in my opinion and you can change the top color as you see fit.

Good Luck,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he wants to FILL IN the checkering not cut it deeper.

-Spencer

Wooops. Anyway the more it's hacked up, or in, the easer to fill, and the better to stick.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote