Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelan ??'s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
What are the pro's & cons of 1x10 and 1x14 twist in a 22-24" barrel for a 35 whelan?

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi: I used to have a .35 Whelan..but don't know the answer to your question...you left out a 1 in 12 twist. I think your best answer would be to call a long time barrel maker like Douglas...they would best answer you & would be a professional,
expert opinion. Generally, longer heavier bullets, all else being equal require faster twists...you didn't say what bullet weight you were going to use? I have a rifle that has a 1 in 7 &1/2 twist,bet you can't guess what it is. An original military US Rifle.
Tom Big Grin

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking the faster twist barrel would stabilize the 250 grain bullets better contributing to better accuracy with those havier bullets.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Shilen says 1 in 14 for all weights.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Verhoositz my 35 Whelen AI has a 1 in 12 twist and shoots moa with all 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets even the old Barnes 250 X which I don't think is cataloged anymore.

Bisonland, would that US military rifle be a 6MM Lee Navy?

Bob

Posts: 1 | Location: PA/USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Whelen has a 14" twist and shoots 250's just fine.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My Whelen has the 16, and shoots all 250 gr. cup bullets just fine.

Faster is only needed for copper 250's and heavier than 250 cup bullets. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shilen says 1 in 14 for all weights.

Yes, they probably would.....

Even 1 in 16" as Remington woefully uses will stabilize 250's on paper. BUT, if hunting is your game, especially big, thick stuff; WE NEED to get away from this 19th century "only enough twist to stabilize for best accuracy"

The Germans had a better idea on twist....fast!No wonder the ol' 9.3 x 62 is still going strong!

I would recommend 1 in 12 " minimum for the Whelen and personally am considering building one with 1 in 10" especially for those 310 grain Woodleighs! A little 9.3 x 62 blood into the Whelen would certainly help!

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the insight!
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A 1-10 wouldn't be as friendly with cast bullets. I'd go with 1-12 or 1-14. With 1-12, you'll have enough should you decide to try some 280 or 310 gr bullets.

Don't dismiss shooting cast through a whelen, there are few things funner then pushing cast pistol bullets at 1200-1700 fps over 10-15 gr of unique, having mild recoil and report, but suprisingly small groups. Nothing like cheap trigger time, especially when it leaves a big grin on your face.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I am contemplating building another .35 Whelen, I discussed it with two gunmakers here in Tucson. Both Randy Lawson and Sterling Davenport were unanimous in stating that a 1 in 12" twist was the way to go.
With that said, I wonder why Remington and Ruger had their heads up their asses by going with the 1 in 16" twist? I believe both Whelen and James Howe felt that 1 in 12" was the way to go.
I have the Remington Classic and Ruger 77 with the 1 in 16" twists and a custom Mauser with a 1 in 14" twist. The next one will be a 1 in 12", period!
A bit OT, but when Winchester brought out the .358 Win., they used a 1 in 12" twist. Why in bloody hell did Ruger use a 1 in 16" twist for their .358 M77?
Guess their engineers like their heads in warm dark places.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1920’s vintage Hoffman 35 Whelen is 1-12â€.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
14" works just fine even with heavy bullets - anything faster is an affectation not a necessity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best .35 Whelens that I have known had 1:12" twists, like my Pre-64 M70 with a Douglas Premium 24" long no.4 countour sporter with 12" twist.

I like the 10" twist in .404 Jeffery, .470 Capstick, and 500 A2. It would be a humdinger in .35 Whelen too.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
The best .35 Whelens that I have known had 1:12" twists, like my Pre-64 M70 with a Douglas Premium 24" long no.4 countour sporter with 12" twist.

I had a 1-12" #3 Douglas in a 358 Win that was the best 35 cal I have ever owned in 40+ years of toying with such things.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad no one is telling these Idaho Moose that my Remington is shooting those 250 grainers through them with only a 16" twist. Ignorance is bliss, in this case..... FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote