THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In what direction should I cut for pistol grips?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 1858 pietta that needs new grips and though it would be fun to make them myself.

I have a block of wavy looking maple which should match the stainless pistol nicely.

Not having done this before, I do not know which direction is best to cut the grips from the block.

To me it would make the most sense to cut horizontally with the rings/layers of the wood rather than vertically through them. Is this correct? I am trying to go for the most figure.

Thank you,

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Do you really want to short grain the grips. Plane or sand a face flat and wet it to see for your self what the finished look might be. Pics would help.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wood (as it grew in the tree) should be oriented parallel with the long axis of the grip. Not horizonally; that will make a weak grip no matter how it looks.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he's talking about slab sawing vs quarter sawing the panels. Slab sawing, as I think I interpret you calling "with the rings/layers of wood" should produce a grip that is less resistant to splitting when you tighten the grip screws. Appearance kind of depends on your preference. If there is any fiddleback I believe it would be highlighted best with a quarter sawn piece. ("through the layers...")

Does that make any sense?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montea understood what I was trying to say. Thank you all for the responses! Maybe I will post some pics up of the finished product if everything goes well.

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Slab and quarter sawing both are sawn in the direction of the grain; not across them as in a cross section, which would make for a weak piece.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote