New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extended eye relief scope options...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've ended up with a rather strange gun -- it started off [somewhat - my loose interpretation] along the lines of a German guild-style gun in 7x57, with a stock that has open sights in mind, a Lyman receiver sight, and backup Williams sight on the barrel. I decided to take off the Williams and put on a quarter rib instead.

Conveniently, the Ruger 1B quarter rib looks like it will fit ok, and assuming it works, now I have the means to mount a scout scope...

Any recommendations for a scope? I have no idea what the options are -- do I need a handgun scope, IER scope? What would power recommendations be? This will primarily be a Michigan woods rifle.

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have since received the 1B rib, and found that it fits even better on the F-34 barrel (see other thread). I am still looking into scout scope options.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baiscally, a handgun scope will do, but the focus is a little tight. There are sout scopes made, by Burris and Leuopold, in 1.5X to 3X (not vatiable, but differant magnifications. I have two, one in 2.5X and one in 2.75X, I really can't see any differance between the two. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve been useing a leupold 2x eer on my super blackhawk for the last 30yrs with out a hitch. One very good piece of glass! Whatever brand you pick I dont think you`ll need more than 2x, 3x at the most. I`ve used the lowest setting on my scopes (2-3x)and haven`t had any problem with not enough scope. The biggest problem in a Michigan cedar/balsam swamp is seeing them far enough off the end of the barrel to use the scope;<Wink
If you were hunting a large farm field a bit more power might help but a good 3x will put you on a deer at quite a long way...

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote