THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Bang for the Buck in a .222 Bolt Action??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, if you were looking for the maximum accuracy you could get in .222 Rem (or .223 Rem) in a bolt action rifle, for up to about 1K $, where would you look?? No thumbhole stocks, weight about 9.0 - 9.5 lbs, preferably with trigger capable of being adjusted down to maybe 1/2 lbs (aftermarket triggers allowed - add 0.1 - 0.2K $), forearm no wider than that of a M700 Varmint, say, or at least be capable of being reduced to that - wood stock.

I had been looking at some second hand 40X or XP100 single shot based rifles over at Shooters Corner. Anybody got a better idea of more "bang for the buck"??

Sakos are nice, but they almost fail on the trigger issue, unfortunately. Remingtons at least can be had with X different after market triggers.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
remington 788
canjar trigger

you are done...
400 for the rifle
300 for the trigger

and it will shoot in the 4's on a BAD day...

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sakos are nice, but they almost fail on the trigger issue, unfortunately. Remingtons at least can be had with X different after market triggers.

- mike

Mike: What's the problem with Sako triggers? They can usually be adjusted safely down to about 2 lbs, and it is unusual to find one with discernable creep. Of course, most of mine are 20 years old or more, so maybe the current production has some problems I am unaware of.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, my stepfather has an older 340 savage, it is now a 223 for cost of ammo considerations. it started life as a 222 and when it was a 222 he could shoot 5 shot groups you could cover with a dime at 100 yds. every time. I am not a good enough shot to know if it is still that accurate as a 223. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob White, owner of Shooters Corner, has been in the accuracy game for ever. I would trust him to stear you to an accurate rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mike: What's the problem with Sako triggers? They can usually be adjusted safely down to about 2 lbs, and it is unusual to find one with discernable creep. Of course, most of mine are 20 years old or more, so maybe the current production has some problems I am unaware of.

Nothing wrong with them at all - I wish Sakos were readily available with the externally adjustable target trigger, though. The "normal" Sako triggers are great, but they are not Jewells. Unfortunately, Jewells are not available for Sakos. Now, if only there was a Sako with a heavy barrel in .222 Rem, with the Sako adjustable target trigger... (dream, dream ).

Ok, so we have two votes for Rem 788, one for Savage. Nobody much likes the 40X or the XP100, eh? Some people claim the 40X is little but a M700 - possibly with slightly better dimensional integrity. Other people claim great accuracy from 40X rifles, though. Although great accuracy can also be had from a M7xx.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Shooter's Corner. Nice to hear a recommendation!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Older Sakos from the 1960s & 70s in .222 Remington are superb rifles, as are Remington 700s built before the late 1980s. If you can fine one, a Browning Safari build on a Sako action from the '60s to mid-70s is also excellent. All of these represent best-buys in a good .222 Rem.

AD