New
Find
Notify
Tools

23" .300win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Question is cutting the .300win back to 23" going to take too much away from the cartridge. What kind of loss would be realized and how would the muzzle blast be?

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hi
I guess you have a 26 ince barrel from the start?
23 inch on a 300 win mag?. You will loose enough velocity soo it's not worth calling magnum [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

A stout 3006 load will give about the same or little less. The muzzel blast will also be fine when hunting in dusk or dawn [Big Grin]

Swap to a 3006 instead if you want to shoot bullets in lover speed or have a shorter barrel.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

<allen day>
posted
For the .300 Winchester, a 24" barrel is my personal minimum length, and it also happens to be my favorite length for general hunting. I don't recommend going any shorter. I've tried 26" barrels, but reverted back to 24" as my ideal length for this cartridge, as well most other standard-length belted magnums.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you will lose some velocity, no it won't turn your 300 Win Mag ihto a 30-06. You will lose about 50fps per inch of barrel. Will it be louder? Yes. Your ears will be closer to the muzzle. Will the muzzle flash be bigger? Depends on the load. hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote