New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with custom Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was given a custom Mauser a few years back, I think it was brought after WWII. It's a pretty little gun, large ring, full length rib, folding leaf sights, double set triggers and butterknife bolt handle in a plain but checkered stock with inletted swivels and steel buttplate, schnable forend. Weighs less than 7# with a loaded magazine.

At the time it was given to me I was told it was chambered for 8mm Mauser. I knew enough to slug the bore amd the diameter of the grooves is 3.24. The barrel looks a bit worn near the muzzle so I pushed the slug back through from the muzzle end, upset it a bit and it dropped through at .323. Fine, no problem, I went out and got a box of 8x57JS.

Went out to the range the other day to try it out. The bolt will not close on the cartridge. Gave it a little push , but no luck it got stuck, had to tap it out from the muzzle end. I dropped one into the cahmber with the bolt removed and it stops about 1/8" short of chambering.

I realize the first order is to cast the chamber cast to find out what it's really chambered for. Any tips on that process? I have the Cerrosafe but have never used it.

Is there some esoteric 8mm cartridge that's a touch shorter, say an 8x54 or thereabouts that this could be chambered for?

If so I'll probably have it rechambered to 8x57 and see how it shots. Final resort would be to have it rebored. Is it feasible to rebore to 9.3x62? There's enough muzzle diameter, but will it feed correctly without further alteration? Is this too much cartridge for this light a gun?

Thanks, Rob

Is there

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob. According to Barnes Cartridges of the World there is an 8x51 Mauser round. I'm thinking that's what you have.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 8x51 was designed for use with the factory Kurz action and was seldom used in standard length actions, but anything is possible. The 8x56 Mannlicher cartridge is another possibility, assuming the rifle was built by a gunsmith.

What markings are on the barrel and receiver?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best / safest bet is to do a chamber cast to be 100% sure. You can pay a gunsmith or get some cerrosafe from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=384
For more info: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=384&t=1&i=39 and http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=384&t=1&i=485

Once you do the chamber cast, you can then take the measurements and know for sure.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
It may just be a tight chamber.

You'll definitely want to get a chamber cast. If you have 8 x 57 dies you can try bumping the shoulder back on a case until it chambers which could give you some idea of what's going on. If you don't have dies you can pick-up a set of Lee RGB for ~ $9 from Midway. Not a bad investment.

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might sound obvious, if so, don't pay any attention.

Are you loading from the magazine and not just dropping a round in and pushing the bolt closed?

I've seen Remington guys do this to Mausers and think it's jammed when the extractor won't snap over and the bolt won't close.

Sam B.
info@fireflyarms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Might sound obvious, if so, don't pay any attention.

Are you loading from the magazine and not just dropping a round in and pushing the bolt closed?

I've seen Remington guys do this to Mausers and think it's jammed when the extractor won't snap over and the bolt won't close.

Sam B.

Ah, well....

Well smack my ass and call me Judy.

Thanks Sam, I won't make that mistake again. This is my first 98.

At the range I tried to load from the ramp. I have the gun apart right now but I put a round under the extractor on the bolt and it chambered fine.

Sorry for the bother,

Here's some pics, can anyone identify the markings on the action?

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a stunner my friend. My guess would be made by one of many small gunmiths/arms builders in Germany, around the Mauser plants. The bavarian style cheekpiece is not typical of what I have seen on Mauser factory sporters, or English small-maker stocks.

Can't help you on the marks either - both commercial and military mausers often have a bunch of arcane markings behid the recoil lug on the flat part of the receiver, which I suspect were internal proofs. I think most European countries in the pre- an interwar periods required proofing - look on the underside of the barrel in the chamber area, for crown proofs, numbers indicating bore size, bullet wt., powder charge, etc. If possible, chalk them and post pics - someone more knowledgable than me will be able to decipher them quickly.

Also if you get the crazy idea of scoping it, that would be one to find / spend the money for proper German claw mounts and a good period scope.

Take care and enjoy that beauty,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Neat little gun Rob, are there any markings inside the stock or on the buttplate?

Posts: 10158 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob,

That's a stunningly beautiful rifle! Congratulations with a real beauty! I just might have one to fool aorund with in a couple of days' time but it isn't anywhere near as beautiful as yours is.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typical German Guild gun, and a nice one it appears..Yes, all Mausers unless modified are made to feed from the magazine, and a good design that is..It makes for better feeding and extraction, a true battle rifle by design void of fault..Its only faults are our modifications IMO...albiet its not scope friendly in its origin.........

I like your idea of reboreing to a 9.3x62, that gun would make a sweet 9.3...and inasmuch as the guild rifles are not particularly collectable IMO, you would certainly have a nice rifle with a lot of resale value in that wonderfull 9.3x62 caliber.....easy feeding may need a bit of tweeking , nothing more if that.....

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thank you for the compliments and especially for not berating my ignorance of the feeding issue.

Todd, there are no other marks on the metal.

WestrnHunter, there is name written in ink on the forend. It looks like B�rst.

The gun still has what I believe is called the stripper clip cutout so I would assume it was a military conversion.

Ray, I'm going to see how it shoots with the 8mm, if the rifling is too worn out, then I'd go to the 9.3. As I said it's a light gun. I'm not too recoil sensitive, but I suspect it's be a bit more than a .35 Whelen or 45-70?

I wouldn't put a scope on it but I would like to get a cocking piece sight, I'll start looking on ebay for a Lyman 1 or 2.

Thanks, Rob

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That is a really nice piece. Commercial Mausers had stripper clip cut-outs too so it doesn't have to be a converted military action. If the bore is too far gone and you don't want a lot of recoil you can look at the 9 x 57 or the 9.3 x 57. I just got a Husqvarna 9.3 x 57 about that weight and it's a joy to shoot and plenty of whack too.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for informinh me of those options. is commercial ammo available for the 9.3x57?

Thanks, Rob

<JOHAN>
posted
Recoil Rob

Ammo and hunting match for 9,3X57 is loded by NORMA. Sheels can be easily made from necking up 8X57IS or 7X57

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I have a rifle very similar to yours. Mine was made by JP Sauer & Sohn. It too had the double set triggers, and the stock was a very dark walnut. When I got it, the stock was gone, the triggers were taken apart and lost. I had it re-bored to 9.3x64mm due to a corroded chamber. It is gorgeous now, with a new stock, new bolt, and a new front sight. I mounted a Redfield peep on it. It does serve up some fierce recoil, but its as handy as a light double shotgun. I have a true Brown Bear rifle in a 7 lb package. The 9.3x64 has power equivalent to a .375H&H. I would be interested in your rifle, if you decide to give up on it.

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob,
Gorgeous rifle you have. Is the barrel a half round half octagon or is it round all the way? It appears that the rib is integral. Hope you realize what they had to go through to get round barrel under an integral rib.

I have a similar one in 7X57 built by Kriegoff but the stock on mine is toast. One of my projects.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote