Find
Notify
Tools

M70 pre 64 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Just interested to hear anyones experiences of rebarreling a M70 pre 64 action. I believe the chamber has to be recessed to accommodate the extractor claw. Is this a difficult operation or fairly straight forward?

Just wondered if this presents any particular problems.

Any comments very much appreciated.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
The Pre 64 action is a cone breech (Enfields,Springfields, also) There is no magic to rebarreling one. Just leave about .005 between the head of the extractor and the barrel. This should decrease to about .002 when the barrel is tightened. The angle of the cone is 96 degrees, so set your compound to 48 degrees. Pretty basic.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
h2oboy

Many thanks for your input and the info. Glad to hear it is relatively straight forward and that was just the sort of info I was loking for.

Thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do believe you have to cut an extractor slot in the breech end of the barrel to accommodate the extractor.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:
The Pre 64 action is a cone breech (Enfields,Springfields, also) There is no magic to rebarreling one. Just leave about .005 between the head of the extractor and the barrel. This should decrease to about .002 when the barrel is tightened. The angle of the cone is 96 degrees, so set your compound to 48 degrees. Pretty basic.

That would be the "included angle". You need to cut the coned breech then headspace and then locate the extactor position for cutting.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Very helpful information.

Thankyou very much

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read about pre 64 M70s on this forum.
So I got one.
Then I re barreled it.
Then I got a fiber glass stock for it.
I glass bedded it.
I put a better scope on it.

I still think I like some of my 98 Mausers better.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote