THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Blueing "substitute" for stainless steel barrels?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blueing "substitute" for stainless steel barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
Gentlemen,

My beloved Tikka M690 ( I understand they were imported into the US as Ithaca previously to the US agency opening, this one is two models earlier than the current T3 ) has a rather tired barrel.

It's not shot out, rather that a period of storage before I got it, and I must confess, some neglect on my part have left the barrel a little fuzzy in places and worst of a a little patch on one side of the crown.

She still shoots well but not as well as it did 4 years ago.

I have an opportunity on a Lilja match barrel blank in 30 cal for a steal and so I'm wondering whether to rebarrel the old girl and treat her to a new lease of life.

My only issue is that the action is chrome-moly and I will be treating it to a reblue at the same time, can the stainless barrel be given a finish like blueing, I appreciate one cannot actually blue stainless, to if not match at least blend with the action?

With thanks in advance,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Stainless steel can be blued with the right salts. Brownells sells Oxynate 84 for stainless. I use it mostly for Winchester 94 receivers and stainless pistols. Remington and Winchester both used stainless steel barrels long before the market demanded all stainless rifles. For example, all pre-64 Winchester .264 Win Mag rifles had stainless barrels. They would plate the barrels with iron and then blue them. I don't have enough demand to set up a large tank for stainless bluing but someone out there probably does.

If you don't blue it, I think painting it will be your best option. You could leave it two-tone which is what I've always done in the past.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The blueing process in use today is a "black oxide". There is a process for black oxiding stainless steel. I have used an outfit called "Unico of Milwaukee" to turn the stainless black. You could also try black teflon.

By the way, your byline, besides what uses you state, a very important function for a woman of substance: "someone to walk in front of you on thin ice."

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an FN Mauser blued action rebarreled with a Stainless Shilen in 264Win a few or more years ago and the smith sent it to someone and had all metal teflon coated and it looked good.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Here's one toomanytools did for me.

Smiler

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a semi-gloss black KG Gunkote on my .25-06. It has a Lilja stainless barrel and blued receiver.

The only thing I'd do different next time is not to coat the extractor and bolt body. Other than that I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amir

Obviously lots of options but I really like a blued reciever with a stainless barrel, consider just not messing with Mother Nature.

wave

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

GH, another option that I apply myself, is a spray on Ceramic product called Cerakote.
It is made by www.nicindustries.com and is a very robust finish and a Very Good means of protecting both Carbon and Stainless steels and other metal, synthetic and organic surfaces!
Cerakote, as you can see at the above web site, is available in a multitude of both practical and other colors!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can blue stainless, I'll have an article posted about it in a few days and will link you to it.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote