THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best option for long range .338, which of my 6 choices is best ??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best option for long range .338, which of my 6 choices is best ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My mate and I want a heavy barrelled .338 (preferably a Lapua .338, purchased dies ages ago of 500 grains) and have been tossing around the following. We have 5 options we have been kicking around, I know Nesiaka Bay etc. make actions but I think there out of out price range.

1. AR 30M .338 Lapua (not sure if can get to Oz, no response from dealer)

2. Sako TRG 42 .338 Very pricey

3. Rem 700 Sendenero .338 Ultra Mag (seems cheapest option and still give a good shooter, and heaps of goodies to upgrade)

4. Build .338 Lapua On a CZ .416 Rigby

5. And Finally try an import a PH MOntana Action to build on, which would give a great big action for the .338 Lapu round.

What do you folks think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I have shot the AR 30M and rather pleased with its performance. But depending on what your budget is who may consider having a 338 Lapua custom built. I don't know what the firearms import laws are from US to Oz, but George Gardner from GAPrecision makes an absolutely wicked 338 Lapua on the CZ action.

Good Luck

True Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

I am beginning to build an extreme range rifle myself and also settled on the 338 bore. To be more specific, the 300 gr Matchking in .338". My performance goals for this rifle are 3050-3100 fps out of a 34" barrel.

Problem was what action and case to design it around? I like the Lapua but feel the price for brass is not worth it. The big 338-378 Wby is a beast but brass is also price and quite soft. Seldom will it last three firings at full pressure.

Though about using the Rigby case but it is in the same boat as the Lapua in price and most brass is not great quality.

I measured the cae capacity of the 300 RUM and some 338 Lapua's I had lying around the shop and the RUM case had one grain more capacity then the Lapua.

I decided to design my wildcat on the full length 300 RUM case, necked up, shoulder moved forward slightly, shoulder angle sharpend and the body taper blown out.

This design will at roughly 7-8 grains capacity to the 300 RUM case and should easily reach my velocity goals.

Benefits of this case are, COST, ability to work in Rem, Win and even Savage actions if wanted. Even if one put a +30" barrel on a factory 338 RUM. The performance with top handloads will be virtually identical to the Lapua, in a cheaper action and with cheaper brass and will shoot at least as well if not better then anything the Lapua can be chambered in.

Do not get me wrong, the Lapua is a great long range round but with the newer case designs, it is not what it once was.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If for a huntin' rifle, do the CZ. If for a sniper/tactical toy, any of your choices will do.

I took a 300 WinMag with beautiful wood (even though hogback conformation, not an oxymoron) and had the smith put a stainless 23" slim barrel on it, and open up the bolt face and rails a bit. Sweet for the plains game, and actually adequate for anything that walks the earth, in a pinch, with 250 grain bullets.

I also have the Sako TRG-S/M995 transgression in .338 Lapua, with synthetic stock and light 26" barrel. A mere toy.

Actually, I am rooting for your CZ Tactical .338 Lapua with a slim switch barrel to go to when you get tired of lugging the heavy barrel. Start with a .416 Rigby action as an easier route to flawless function.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daga,

My Smith who built my .585 feels that the CZ action will be just fine for an accurate long range .338. He said it is more how you set the action up (a whole lot of stuff I am not familar with). But reckons he can get one to shoot as well on a cz as anything else.

Without a doubt the cheapest way to go is rem 700 sendenero.

One thing about building on a cz it has that awsome set trigger which I like and I will have five other cz's as well so consintency of action will be there.

Verrochio have you got a link to the George Gardner cz .338's ??

<David King>
posted
PC

Here's a couple pics of a G. A. Precision 338 Lapua on the CZ 550 Safari (416 Rigby) action.

http://www.the-king-family.com/UserPages/DaveKing/FireArms.html

I haven't played with mine too much, shoot 300 Sierra at 2850 to 2875 but have worked up loads that clock over 3050 fps. For the distances I shoot mid 2800's is plenty fast... George Gardner (G. A. Precision) modified the CZ rings to make them a little stronger but there is still apparenly no taper built into the system.

Last fall I killed a moose with this 338 Lapua and the 300 Sierra...only about 175 yards distance.

Other 338's I've had:

338 RUM on a custom Rem 700 (Tac-Ord built)... 2850 fps with the 300 Sierra from 28 inch PacNor barrel (maximum load for this rifle). Plenty accurate and a nice rifle.

338 Lapua built by H-S Precision on their own action....Sold it plenty quick!

Fella I hunt with has a Sako TRG-41 and loves it...he shoots the 250 Sierra GameKing and the 200 Nosler BT...very nice rifle but a little pricey.

I've been toying with getting a TRG-42 but it's a little too ugly for me.

[ 08-03-2003, 17:33: Message edited by: David King ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,

You can check the galley Dave's got or the one at George's site: www.gaprecision.net.

George is a hell of a guy and is a straight shooter both literally and figuratively.

Good Luck

True Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,

how does your CZ Lapua shoot ?? and who did your stock ?? with the adjustable comb ??

The cz may work alright ?? Does the mag box have enough length to feed the sierra 300 gr Match Kings ??

And dare I ask How did the Matchking go on the moose ?? [Wink]

Thanks for the links Folks ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's way outta my league but I thought one of you guys might be interested in this:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=180325&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

It's a 300 Tomahawk that Jamison has posted on 24 Hour Campfire.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks I have narrowed to three choices;

Sako TRG 42 (would need to save over 18 months for this baby !!)

Build on a CZ 550
Build on a MRC PH Action.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
PC,

You can buy a factory Sako in .338 Lazzeroni that'll do 3125fps out of the 26" barrel. Brass from Midway. Pull the barrel and have a longer heavier tube put on.

For $899.00 you can't go wrong.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help so far gents !!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Pc- The best round is a .338 RUM on the 300 RUM case. With weight sorted cases it will run rings around any .338 Lapua. I've built two of them so far and can guarantee .25 MOA at 500 yrds with .338 Lapua Scenars at 3100 fps. You know I speak the truth!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I already have .338 Lapua dies that I bought off 500 grains I am sought of Keen for a Lapua.

Rob I am going to post a thread about using an MRC PH action for a heavy barrelled .338 Laupa. Would you be able to offer advice on that ?? I will post it in Gunsmithing.