Find
Notify
Tools

Cost to open bolt face
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
I just recently "fell" into a rem 721 30-06. I have a 300 wm barrle laying around for a projet that hasn't happened yet, and would like to know what all would be involved in turning the 30-06 into a 300wm... I've been serching for a BDL floor plate and mag follower and will find one eventually, what I'm concerned about is feeding issues. Will there be any? And how much should I expect to pay for having the bolt face opened up? Is it worth the conversion? (I probably shouldn't even ask that question cause I all ready know what the answer is...)

Thanks

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I just had a 98 Mauser converted to 416 Taylor and I paid $75 to have the bolt face opened and the necessary feed work done.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The 721 is a fine gun in .30-06 and while it could be converted to a .300 mag I'd personally recommend you trade it for a CDL in .300 mag.....that way you get the cartridge you want but you also get a stock that is designed for use with a scope.

The 721 should be restocked if one wishes to use a scope and I assume you'd use a scope on a .300 mag.

I'd also suggest that the difference between the .30-06 and .300 mag isn't worth the cost of conversion. The old -06 is a truly powerful cartridge.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote