Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Wood on Ruger #3
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
I realize that the trigger guard/finger lever is different, but are any modifications required for the other metal to put Ruger #1 wood on a Ruger #3 ? I just got a #3 in 375 Win, and would prefer the #1 wood with the Alex Henry forend. Does anyone here have a set of #1 wood for sale?

I am also considering rechambering to 375x2.5 Flanged Nitro Express (not 375 Flanged Magnum NE).

The other concern is that I wonder if I should mess with this rifle, as it is a nice (97 %, with a few scratches on the stock) Ruger #3 in a less common caliber. Any thoughts on this possible project?

Thanks,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if the lever will interfer with the pistol grip curvature or not, but I don't think so, should look nice. Look on eBay, auctionarms or gunbroker for No.1 wood.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mbogo375
Before you modify that rifle you might try this [a friend of mine had a 30-40 Krag No3]. Get one of those good quality leather slip on recoil pads. Cut out a piece of firm foam to fit the curve of the stock, install the recoil pad.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ome people call this variation a "two". the butt stock bolts right on with the normal factory variations as to height and gaps. the fore-end may or may not fit your barrel contour, depending on the fore-end you find. it does make a nice looking up grade.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jimmy Mac
posted Hide Post
I have 3 #3's set up that way and love them. The #1 wood really makes it a nicer rifle to shoot. Also, they have a classic kind of look to them.

The tricky part is the supply of #1 wood sets.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Do you alter the trigger guard/lever? Would you care to share a picture of a converted #3 anyone?

Thanks,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no need to alter any of the metal work. it will work just fine as it is.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote