New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H & H Whitworth Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a 375 H & H and in shooting it and working with it, it seems to have an anomaly. The first two cartridges cases are ejected the way that one would expect of a Mauser, the third case, it seems is not flung out the way the first two are. I know that this may be operator error, i.e., I need to pull the bolt back with the same degree of force. I belive I have done that but the 3rd case doesn't seem to come out real clean. Secondly, I managed to create a jam when attempting to fire the rifle as quickly as possible.

My questions are twofold: 1). Is the first anomaly typical of Mausers or is it an issue with the ejector. 2). What would cause a rifle to jam with factory ammunition?

And last but not least, what smiths have a reputation for having a great deal of expertise with Mausers.

Thanks much for your assistance.

Bill

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
My first thought is you "short stroked" it. That is you didn't get the bolt pulled all the way back before you went foward again. When practicing the fast second or third shot remember pull till it stops then go foward. If that doesn't work something is wrong.
I have experience with only one Whitworth and it feeds and ejects flawlessly. But things happen parts wear out or break.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some similar issues with my Whitworth. Ito comes with a short magnum follower. I replaced it with a 375 length follower from Brownell's (which needed to be narrowed slightly to work) but it feeds flawlessly now. I think it's a Wisner-made follower. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this happens with many Whitworths, including my own .375. 99% of the time the exotractor is not right. Many feeing and ejection problems are traced back to the extractor. You can change other parts and maybe make it better, but often it is just treating the symptoms.

Whitworths are very rough rifles as the came from the factory but with some work they can be made OK.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marc_Stokeld: Whitworths are very rough rifles as the came from the factory

This is why I have always preferred FNs to Mark Xs. They may look similar but the polishing, machining, tolerances and overall finish is generally better on FNs.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote