New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new trigger, pre 64 Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been having some trouble for a while with my trigger. If I close it hard it will let the sear will disengage when I close it and let the fireing pin down. I have adjusted it and I had a good gunsmith look at it and while it is a little better it will still do it when it is cold. I want a new trigger. The gun is a pre 64 Mod 70 270 win. It has a Bell and Carlson stock. I want a trigger that is easy to install and if I want to put it back to orignal I could do so. I don't want to do any cutting to the stock either. Can I get a "drop in" that will fit with little or no fuss? Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
what ever parts you need to repair the factory trigger can be found here:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0950z70%20PRE%2064

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Idaho!

Get a jewell trigger for your pre-64, it`s worth it all!!!. I haven`t regreted it!

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The m-70 trigger is the finest trigger in existence today for a hunting rifle..Apparantly someone has tinkered with yours and screwed it up..it can be recut and properly fixed by a good gunsmith, and it will never fail you..it has proven that over a century or two...You would probably have to cut the stock otherwise...I have owned them for years and never had one fail on me unless some idiot had tinkered with it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I understand your post correctly, you are getting "slam fires", as the striker is not being held by the trigger sear when closing the bolt. Even if nobody has stoned the engagement surfaces, the springs could have been shortened, replaced with shorter ones, misadjusted, or maybe the original spring(s) could be worn out. There are aftermarket spring kits available for the model 70. You might try one of those before replacing the trigger. I'm with Ray on this one. The M70 trigger is as good as there is for a hunting rifle. It takes a determined effort to ruin one, but it can be done.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the gun used several years ago. I wanted the trigger lightened up a bit. I took it to a local guy I will not call a gunsmith. I should in fact go kick his @$$ for screwing up the trigger. When I got it back one of the nuts were missing and the gun would "slam fire" I took it to another guy that was in the buisness but was not much of a gun smith. Last fall I took the trigger appart my self and worked on it and then took it to another gun smith. Neither one of us could get the gun to "slam fire" but that was in the summer. Then again last winter in the very cold weather I could get it to do it again.
While I think I made it better it is still not right and I don't know who to take it to to finish getting it right. Any ideas on a GS in southern Idaho?

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send the gun to Dennis Olson in Plains, Mt. he will fix it...I suspect the trigger needs to be recut as the sear is over riding...In fact Win. would fix it I suspect, but Dennis would do a better job as far as trigger pull is concerned.

Dennis Olson
Box 337
Plains, Mt. 59859
406-826-370

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote