Notify
Tools

M98 action ok for .404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Calling all you .404 experts.

I would at some stage like to build a .404 Jeffery but not sure if a M98 is long enough to handle this cartridge. What actions make good choices for a .404 Jeffery if modifying an M98 is going to be a hassle.

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
would at some stage like to build a .404 Jeffery but not sure if a M98 is long enough to handle this cartridge.

There have been plenty of 98s converted to 404. Just takes time and $$. The action, bolt and box will need to be opened up to handle the longer case.

A longer magnum action would be far easier.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi KWC, 404s were often built on standard Mauser actions in the days when they were the choice of many an African nations game dept. As factory loaded they are slightly shorter than a 375H&H & there have been plenty of those built on std actions. The stumbling block for a good 404 conversion is probably bottom metal & getting them to feed from what I've read on here & other places but not unsolvable to a good bit of Kiwi ingenuity. Another option & a larger action to boot might be a P14 action but again it will be bottom metal & feeding as well as the tidying up they need to look anything like decent.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I have 2 magnum mauser actions in the works and both will be Rigby cartridges. I also am doing a 404 jeff on a Winchester classic 300 rum. Some might think that a jeff should be mated to a Mauser only. But the Win M70 Rum is a perfect,inexpensive,and easy convert.

You can find M70 Rum's on gunbroker in the 600's and rebarrel for under 1K. A nice rifle and conversion.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one built on a 1935 Brazilian Oberndorf Mauser standard length action, and it feeds fine. I used Blackburn bottom metal on mine, but good luck getting that.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote