New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 71.........Problem??
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy Y'all,
When I fire my M71 the lever kicks down as if I was trying to unload it.This occured with factory ammo 200grs,and 150s.I guess I shouldn't shot up the old 150s as I hear they are quite collectable.Can anyone here give me a idea as to why this is happening,and how I can correct this situation?
Thanks for your help..............,and have a great day.

D.P.Reynolds

Posts: 19 | Location: The best country on earth,and damn near the worst state....Maryland.....it is below the Mason-Dixon line....but not by much! | Registered: 20 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That makes them faster to cycle the lever! I had a Marlin do that once but that was from the un-Holy loads we were putting through it. I don't know why it happens with factory loads. Locking bars too smooth?

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a previous owner tried to "polish" the action without taking enough care in the process. Even a very slight (visually indescernable without a glass) angle on the locking lug(s) can contribute to this.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the lever to see if it is bent, keeping the action from locking up completely. I have seen a bent lever on one original 71 and many Marlins. Some people think the way to clear a jam is to apply more pressure to it. Levers are surprisingly easy to bend when someone bubbas them.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what the problem is but when my 71 had a problem Turnbull fix it quickly.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote