THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    So what is the latest report card on Pacific Metallurgical?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what is the latest report card on Pacific Metallurgical?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting closer on some projects, anyone had any recent experience with their heat treating services using the Burgess Method?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but have you had used any of their services lately?

I read of someone recently (can't find it now) getting back a warped and unusable receiver from them.

I think it was D'Arcy Echols??

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
Yes, but have you had used any of their services lately?

I read of someone recently (can't find it now) getting back a warped and unusable receiver from them.

I think it was D'Arcy Echols??

Burgess's method was specifically developed to minimize warpage, however it cannot be totaly eliminated. 99% will not experience any warpage issues. Just like contouring barrels; the majority of good barrels will not walk with proper methods but occassionally you get one that has a mind of its own.

I know someone that just got back about a dozen receivers with nary a hitch.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I know someone that just got back about a dozen receivers with nary a hitch.

That is what I wanted to hear. Smiler

So, do we have any idea why some receivers warp and some don't?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "Burgess Method " ?

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I'm a relatively new member here, so hopefully I can actually add some value..while standing in awe of what I've read here, having read posts going back to 2001...

Looked this up- patent-
http://www.google.com/patents/US2124459
(read the whole thing if you have trouble getting to sleep)

Basically an approach to rotational heat treatment and quenching designed to minimize distortion while providing a more uniform case.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ikesdad:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "Burgess Method " ?

It was the process Tom Burgess developed/prescribed to/whatever with Pacific Metalurgy to recase mausers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That patent has quite a number of mis-spellings ,typos and other confusing things like "sur-15face " .
Doug ,it's spelled Metallurgy !
In any case Ihaven't ever seen the Burgess method in operation . Heat treating the receivers is complicated by the ejection port cutouts.A 1200 F stress relieve is a good way to start heat treating to prevent warping. In production with all parts are the same size fixtures are helpful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
That patent has quite a number of mis-spellings ,typos and other confusing things like "sur-15face " .
Doug ,it's spelled Metallurgy !

Heal thyself, physician. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of Argentines recased by them last summer and everything came back just fine. No issues whatsoever.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, oops missed that one . The only bad part of my education was a spelling class in seventh grade that was "Progressive Education" which messed up my spelling forever .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Doug, oops missed that one . The only bad part of my education was a spelling class in seventh grade that was "Progressive Education" which messed up my spelling forever .

OK, so what is the deal with that wacky punctuation spacing you use? lol

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
And to think I started reading this thread to try to gain some information/knowledge about heat treatment of 98 actions. Hope it gets back to that.

One reason I am interested is to see if the "soft"
Spanish actions are brought up to standard by this procedure.

Are they?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Proper Mauser actions are made of a steel similar to a 1018 , a low carbon steeel that does not respond to HT. However those actions are carburized which adds carbon to the top layer of the steel. That's what makes them hard . If there is no carbon added it can never be heat treated and hardened !!
When I was in gunsmithing school [ CST early '70s ] I sent my M98 out for HT. That included adding carbon . I can't remember what company did it .That company's proceedure satisfied me as a metallurgist. It was my deer rifle for many years !! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever checked to see how deep the case is one one of the case hardened Mausers from PM?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote