New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/22 bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I"m looking at a 2nd hand Hornet M77/22 as a rifle to convert to K Hornet.
I"ve read that the 2 piece bolt causes problems, but can be shimmed or re-pinned.
If I was neck sizing brass that was fireformed in the same rifle, would it still be an issue?
Would"nt the brass flow back against the bolt face as far as it could go, or should I tighten up the bolt?(I have"nt even had the chance to look at this rifle much yet, I"m just talking about the m77 in general)
your thoughts please,
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put an after market barrel on my 77/22mag and found I had excessive headspace (rimspace). I just kept inserting shims between the bolt head and the back of the barrel until the bolt closed with noticeable resistance. Measured the thickness of the shims and took that much off the barrel shoulder. Worked great and it shoots the Rem 33 Vmax's into 3/8-1/2" groups @ 100 yds consistently. Use it out to 150 for prairie dogs.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 mag as well, and I might try to shim it. What I"m really wondering about is when you are re-using or fireforming brass (K Hornet). Does the play in the bolt face still matter when the brass has already been fired in that chamber?
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
I have a 22 mag as well, and I might try to shim it. What I"m really wondering about is when you are re-using or fireforming brass (K Hornet). Does the play in the bolt face still matter when the brass has already been fired in that chamber?
good shooting

I would say yes, the Hornet headspaces off the rim, not the shoulder. I can't remember who it is or where I saw it, but there is a smith/outfit out there who among other things offers "accurizing" of the 77/22 Hornets. He shims the bolt as part of the process. I've seen a couple of 77/22's that shot much better after just a rechamber to the K, with no other mods.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the outfit I was talking about

http://www.ct-precision.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote