New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt sleeve polishing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would any of you care to share your techniques for polishing mauser 98 bolt sleeves? I am using soft die stones in those areas large enough to afford some movement axially and wearing down my finger tips on all of those short curved surfaces. I am hesitant to use any powered tool for fear of introducing more ripples than I am taking out. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Posts: 25 | Location: Detroit,MI | Registered: 30 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the dumb response, but I don't see anyway to fit any kind of sleeve on a '98 Mauser bolt. It is just too busy. There is no place to put one.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I think he's referring to the shroud, as some refer to it as the sleeve.

I use 3M wheels with great success, but it takes a considerable amount of practice, and it' too detailed to type unless I wanted to right a novel equal in size to something Stephen King would produce.

by hand is properly the safest for the one time job

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it the same way you are doing it and it is not easy but it gets the job done right...

I follow by "striking" the shroud with a fresh grey Scotchbrite wrapped around my finger to blend the scratches.

Also, some sleeves are much better milled than others- you may want to search these out instead of working on the rough ones.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
"Also, some sleeves are much better milled than others- you may want to search these out instead of working on the rough ones."

Yep, 'cause they are as hard as woodpecker lips!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have pollished mauser shrouds, with various coarseness' of Scote Brite pads cut into squared and mounted on a mandrel for the Dremel tool.
Do it outside.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote