New
Find
Notify
Tools

7/30 imp
 Login/Join

<Poppy09>
posted
Howdy all.... I've just attempted to fireform 2 new cases of re-formed 30/30 to 7/30 to 7/30 improved.I was intrigued by the cream of wheat method, so I tried it. Having never even seen an improved case I didn't know what to expect. One thing I discovered is that this ain't a quiet proceedure!!!!!! I assumed (yeah, I know) that there wouldn't be a loud report so I stepped out into the back yard and wham! ZERO recoil, of course but certainly no less bang! The old lady came running out of the house cussin' me, and the phone was ringing off the hook! HA.. [Big Grin] it was great fun, so I popped off another one. She said if the cops showed up she was gonna let them have me!!! I used 10.1 gr. of unique for the first one, wasn't at all sure what I was looking at, and the case wall didn't seem real smooth, soooo, the next one got 11.6 grs. followed with a near fill with cream of wheat and topped snugly with a piece of cotton ball tamped with a dowel. I can only suppose this is what I'm supposed to end up with. This cartridge has very little shoulder and less neck but I think I'm gonna like it. Can someone provide me with a case dimension diagram for the improved version? I'd appreciate it. Thanks Guys, for your indulgence I know I can get pretty wordy but I wanted to share this with Y'all....... Jim

<wildcat51>
posted
Poppy09

Are you forming brass for a contender barrel?

For my 7 GNR barrel (7-30 super improved) I just fired factory 7-30 to produce a perfect 7 GNR case without any problems.

<Poppy09>
posted
Yes, for a 15" contender. I've had no problems. I just had no experience forming cases for this improved version, and had no idea what to expect so I decided to bring it to this forum. Perhaps it should have been in the reloading area, but I was hoping one of our esteemed Smiths would respond. I'm hoping that someone can show me a diagram of the improved cartridge as it should be, so I can be sure of what I've done.....know what I mean? I used a south Dallas formula for determining the powder charge and it seems that I was correct!?!? I guess.......Jim