THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a speedlock worth installing on a M70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
David Tubb has introduced a speedlock system to reduce the lock time of the M70.

Is this worthwhile on a hunting rifle? The M70 it not known for having the quickest locktime in a rifle.

Anyone on the forums installed one of these?

And yes, I know that lots of animals have been killed with flintlocks that had a lock time measured in weeks.....

www.zediker.com/tubb/images/speedlock/slpins1.html

------------------
I know the next rifle will be perfect.......

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, not from a practical point of view on a hunting rifle, but if it turns your crank, then do it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had quitea few bench rifles on Model 70s in calibers from 6mm/06 through to 375 H&H.

In calibers like 270 and similar with Heavy Varmint taper barrel and unaltered M70 except for Jewell trigger, they will shoot an average of .5" and less and that is using a X scope. Also with ammo loaded in standard dies (although selected dies) and full length sized with about .003" headspace.

A 6mm PPC on a Stolle action with 36X scope, custom dies and neck turned brass will do around .25" with the champs breaking .2"

That will give you some idea of the potential difference....in other words...not much.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
What Atkinson, Super Member, said!! I have a Mauser with a regular striker fall, which is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot!!