New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC 1999 scope bases, which ones??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Possibly one of you owners of an MRC action can help me.

I have a long action coming next month, I hope. I want to get rings and bases before then but don't know which to order. MRC tells me that my action will have .330 hole spacing, however, I don't know which Wincherter that equates to. Can any one enlighten me to the win70/MRC bases I need? TIA
Tyler

Posts: 40 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the ones for the magnum action. Same as for the 7STW or the 375H&H. (reversible front)

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told by MRC that even though mine is a short action, they have been drilled to receive the Model 70 Magnum Express bases.

[ 09-14-2003, 16:21: Message edited by: jbmi ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why doen't MRC standardize their hole spacing?

They've been jumping around with this for some time..

one of us
posted Hide Post
They did!

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones (LA RH) I have handled have both 860 and 330 rear hole spacing.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we first started the actions we had so many people that wanted 1 piece bases and therefore we went with the Winchester Express spacing, which unfortunately is .330" in the rear. You'll notice on the Long actions that most of them have both the .330 and .860 spacing on the rear. This gives you a choice of which bases to use and doesn't sacrifice any strength in the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, does that affect the placement of the holes in the front of the reciever in relation to the model 70? I guess what I am really asking is: does a set of scope mounts on a long action model 70 look the same as the same mounts on an MRC 99 in regards to their placement on the reciever?

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
As far as the front ring goes, it is absolutely Model 70 so you shouldn't have any problems with using standard Model 70 mounts on the front.

<lb404>
posted
Dan, Why do you guys incist on making the hole spacing so short on the rear base when a wider spacing would give better support for the rear base. The pre-64 long action rear base spacing is .435, The classic is .330. Will the .860 rear base as originally designed not fit on the rear bridge of your action. It most certainly will on the classic winchester action. The rear base size is Identical regardless of whole spacing - isn't it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are using 860, with 330 stuck in the middle both sharing the front hole. Ie, there are three holes out back.

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
Dan, Why do you guys incist on making the hole spacing so short on the rear base when a wider spacing would give better support for the rear base. The pre-64 long action rear base spacing is .435, The classic is .330. Will the .860 rear base as originally designed not fit on the rear bridge of your action. It most certainly will on the classic winchester action. The rear base size is Identical regardless of whole spacing - isn't it?

Ib404, don't know if you have followed the threads about the MRC M1999 action over the last year or so?? There were some pretty involved discussions about what scope bases MRC should cater for (two-piece vs. one-piece bases). The guys at MRC decided to listen to the customers and went from the originally planned .330 hole spacing (one-piece base) to a .860 spacing (2 piece base). To accomodate 1-piece users, they also kept the .330 spacing on some actions (not sure this applies to all actions??).
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The change to three hole rear bridge (.860 for all bases made for the M70 and the forward hole of the .330 for the one-piece fans) cut in around serial # C03-1300. All long actions now get this hole spacing. Short actions get .860 spacing front and rear, period.

There are a number of two hole (.330) magnum actions still in stock...but perhaps not for long. [Big Grin]

[ 09-25-2003, 10:25: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan

I seem to remember seeing some custom bases posted on a completed rifle with a montana action. From what I remember those bases looked pretty good on that action. Do you have any information on who's bases those were

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RNS
Those bases were made by Mike Scherz working out of Mesa Sport shop in Yuma. They were made for my rifle to support some Talley QR rings.
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote