New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 11, grouping troubles.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my wife a Savage model 11 Lady Hunter in 7mm-08. We put a good Leuapold scope on it. Nether her, nor I could get decent groups out of it. Shot 5 different types of loads (all factory loads). Picked up the old Remington 700 in .243 and with cheap winchester factory loads 1" groups. I know nothing about gunsmithing, is glass bedding something I can do or leave it to the professionals?

Cheers
CM

Posts: 65 | Location: Western Australia, Australia. / Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First check all the screws mounting, stock ect then use a different scope then if that fails bedding could help.

Chasing group size can be frustrating.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Couple of silly questions. You state you can't get a decent group, can you clarify? What I mean is, when you hold ONE point of aim, does every shot go somewhere else, or are you trying to compensate for the shot and "chasing" the POA across the target? I'm just looking for cause and effect, unless there is something wrong (ie bad crown, loose scope mount out of whack chamber) just about any modern firearm should group 1-3 inches with factory ammo. I'm just looking for something (not so) obvious that could easily have been overlooked.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
Couple of silly questions. You state you can't get a decent group, can you clarify? What I mean is, when you hold ONE point of aim, does every shot go somewhere else, or are you trying to compensate for the shot and "chasing" the POA across the target? I'm just looking for cause and effect, unless there is something wrong (ie bad crown, loose scope mount out of whack chamber) just about any modern firearm should group 1-3 inches with factory ammo. I'm just looking for something (not so) obvious that could easily have been overlooked.

Yes using same aim point. Can get about 4" groups at 100 yards. Shooting off a solid bench with a rest. Does not seem to have any patterns ex. first shot left, second high, just all random impacts. Scope is bran new vx-2 Leopold.

Cheers CM

Posts: 65 | Location: Western Australia, Australia. / Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Provided the scope mounts are nice and tight, have you checked the crown? Just visually inspect it to see if any nicks or dings are present. At this point, you may want to send this rifle back for warranty attention. There has to be an underlying issue. Savage rifles are pretty tough to beat in the accuracy department right out of the box. Let the warranty shop look at it before you attempt to or have anyone else bed the rifle. Just my $.02, but I think you might have a lemon...it happens.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
Provided the scope mounts are nice and tight, have you checked the crown? Just visually inspect it to see if any nicks or dings are present. At this point, you may want to send this rifle back for warranty attention. There has to be an underlying issue. Savage rifles are pretty tough to beat in the accuracy department right out of the box. Let the warranty shop look at it before you attempt to or have anyone else bed the rifle. Just my $.02, but I think you might have a lemon...it happens.

Hmm, ok thanks.