New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 whisper rifle
 Login/Join

<jd_1>
posted
I am planning on building a rifle based on the M700 action for a 300 whisper. All I am wanting is an 18"semi tapered barrel and a synthetic stock (nothing fancy). I plan on finding a M700 or modle SEVEN in .223 and just having a different barrel installed. Any suggestions on a reasonable priced barrel? This rifle will be my "go to" gun when messing around on the farm for all around critters, (whitetail to crows),season permitting of course. I also plan on using 150 to 180 grain bullets. What would be the ideal twist rate for me?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save your self some possible heartache and buy yourself a high quality barrel. Cheap barrels are just that cheap. to reduce price on a barrel something has to go and quality is usually it. For 180 to 200 dollars you can purchase a quality barrel and that will last 3000 + rounds in that cal.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<TWCracker>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jd_1:
I am planning on building a rifle based on the M700 action for a 300 whisper. All I am wanting is an 18"semi tapered barrel and a synthetic stock (nothing fancy). I plan on finding a M700 or modle SEVEN in .223 and just having a different barrel installed. Any suggestions on a reasonable priced barrel? This rifle will be my "go to" gun when messing around on the farm for all around critters, (whitetail to crows),season permitting of course. I also plan on using 150 to 180 grain bullets. What would be the ideal twist rate for me?

Iam having a new barrel made for my Rem. 700 VSSF .223 in 300 Whisper. Iam having the commpressiom thread removed from the original barrel and a small hole drilled on the underside of each barrel so they may be interchanged. The 300 Whisper barrel will be 20" and contoured to match the factory fell diameter barrel. The rifle shold be finished next week. The quoted price for this work is $275.00. I will post upon arrival and testing

------------------

<TWCracker>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TWCracker:
Iam having a new barrel made for my Rem. 700 VSSF .223 in 300 Whisper. Iam having the commpressiom thread removed from the original barrel and a small hole drilled on the underside of each barrel so they may be interchanged. The 300 Whisper barrel will be 20" and contoured to match the factory fell diameter barrel. The rifle shold be finished next week. The quoted price for this work is $275.00. I will post upon arrival and testing

Sorry for the spelling and grammer, just blew my right elbow out and learning to do everything lefthanded.

<leo>
posted
I read an article devoted to the .300 whisper and the authur used only 125 and 150 grain bullets in it. Out of his contender carbine with 21" barrel he was getting 2,100 ft/sec with the 150 grain bullet. I would not go heavier than that except for subsonic shooting using max weight bullets. A 1 in 10 twist will probably work for 150 grain bullets. E-mail J D Jones on the sskindustries.com website. Cor-bon loads for it.