New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Actions and Short Mag ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any problems with the short mags feeding in M700's or M7's? I've only worked one Model 7 action and the short mag seemed to feed rather clunky compared to a standard 308 Win. Is this common due to the short fat cartridge? I've got two M700's in standard calibers and both feed perfectly. Any experience and input with the short mags would be great. Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
JAB,

The brochure in the waiting room at the Urologist's office say's: "You cannot expect satisfactory performance by increasing diameter without increasing length"...
[Big Grin]

This advise applies to bolt action guns as well... Short, fat cartridges do not maneuver very well through short actions. The feed angles are just too abrupt, and the distance too short, for smooth, reliable feeding.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me, but I have never owned one.
I've heard from lots of folks that -theoru be damned - they feed just fine.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had this discussion with my gunsmith. His recommendation for the short magnum custom I am having built was use a long action Rem 700. They feed better and allow seating of bullets further out. The short actions are a little stiffer and do offer better accuracy. At my level of skill and most peoples levels of skill it would never be noticed.

Posts: 38 | Location: NY | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To date I have built 7 WSM. 6.5, .308 and 7mm on WSM case shotened 0.300.

1 Win Mod 70 CF/PF, 5 Howa, and 1 Model Seven.

All feed well, if not as slick as an 1909 Argentine 7mm Mauser.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote