THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    PTG Charged $13.80 to Ship a ONE OUNCE envelope!!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PTG Charged $13.80 to Ship a ONE OUNCE envelope!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys really need to step out of the 19th century with your shipping protocol and business practices. Things have changed, and are infinitely more efficient for even the small shipper, if you will use the tools readily available to you.
But I realize that there are those who refuse to change.....the old ways are familiar and reliable.
But efficient? Obviously not important.

Posts: 17289 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PT&G are a bad outfit. I have been through a lot with them. Should stay away from them. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who is pt&g?

Posts: 28 | Location: northlake,texas | Registered: 04 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go their website and see; problem for me is that they make lots of unique stuff that no one else makes and guys want it. I feel bad telling them that a ten dollar part has tripled in price just due to postage. (It is not the money, it is the principle and attitude.)
Pacific makes reamers, bottom metal, bolts, lots of other machined stuff.
Their reputation has suffered due to this, and other issues which I won't go into.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have stopped doing business with them in recent years; mostly due to their corporate attitude but also because of quality control issues with reamers. I've had a bunch of reamers which won't cut and some which did not even resemble what I had ordered. Just not worth it.
As far as shipping is concerned, I agree that it can be a bit of a rip-off but it's just another example of business making money on a non-product. In this case. you, as a retailer, simply mark up the shipping costs along with the cost of the extractor and pass it along to the customer. Of course, when you do this, you will be villified. It's OK for big business but not for individuals or small business. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3780 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
If only your fantasy business math worked in the real world.

The math is a constant.

You can scale it any way you want.

Apparently I didn't word my response properly so let me try again, your business model is a fantasy that doesn't work.

Let me poke an obvious hole in it.

quote:
If your business involved shipping hundreds if not thousands of items a day.

You would be hiring some one at 8 to 15 dollars an hour to do it for you.

They would be very good at shipping. Lets they ship 12 items and hour. The handling charge is 5 dollars an item. The packaging costs 2 dollars an item.

That leaves 36 dollars and hour to pay wages.

36 minus even 15 an hour is 21 an hour profit times 8 is 168 extra a day.

Now your a company that has 20 shipping clerks 168x 20 = 3360 x 260 working days = 873600 a year extra profit.

In order for this math to work my shop rate would have to be $45.00 per employee not $45.00/hr for the entire shop. You can't pay 20 employees 8 to 15 an hour if you are only charging a $45.00/hour shop rate. Also none of your fantasy example here accounts for the other expenses that come out of that $45.00/hr shop rate like electricity, heating, insurance, etc...

I'd like to see you actually run a business with 20 shipping clerks using the fantasy you described on a $45.00/hr shop rate.

Maybe you work for the gov't but the rest of know you can't pay 20 guys $15.00hr is you are only charging $45.00/hr total shop rate.

20 x $45.00 = $900.00/hr shop rate.

Math is a constant but you have to apply it properly for it to work.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
USPS costs less than $3 to ship a 4oz package. A bubble mailer is about 15 cents. Label about five cents. Any company beyond a brand new startup will have an automated shipped program such as shipstation, shipping easy, etc. You're looking at less than a minute to bring in an order and print the label and packing slip. Paying someone to do it, $5-$6 total.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something just doesn't sound right with this. I just went on their site, put a Sako extractor in the "shopping cart" and proceeded to checkout. Part was $12.99 and shipping was $4.92 for a total of $17.91.
I am not shilling for PTG, and have railed on them for other things on other forums, but they dont seem out of line with this number.
5 oz or less anywhere in CONUS is $2.77 USPS First Class and a little for overhead and profit is OK. Wonder why you got jammed for the larger amount? Did you click the wrong button on the shipping page? They have options all the way up to 58 bucks for Next Day Air.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will show you my invoice if you doubt me. Which it sounds like you do; no need for that. I don't make up stuff. NO I did not click the wrong button. This is getting out of hand for sure.
Sako extrator kits are more than $12; they are $21.
Maybe they changed their policy due to my complaints.
What "doesn't sound right' is that you jumped in and made accusations without doing your homework.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, Yes; they did change their shipping schedules, all of them. So my complaints to them did work.
The cost is now $9.85 for priority mail instead of $13.80 for my same ONE OUNCE order; and they have reduced all the shipping costs by $4.
And they did put a standard mail option in the mix as well.
So, complaining worked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy there fella. Wasn't accusing you of anything. Just trying to figure out why it was so much. I have heard/experienced their shipping (and other) messes for years. It used to be if you did not drill down through their web page VERY diligently, you would be charged a "standard" higher rate for just about everything. Sounds like they are getting slowly up to speed. At least in the shipping dept.;-)