New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Reboring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who does a good job of reboring rifle barrels these days.

In the mid 70s I had a 30-06 barrel, a surplus 03/A3, rebored to 338/06. Atkinson in AZ did it. He did an excellent job, and it is accurate. I think he is not with us anymore.

I don't know of anything I want rebored at this time, but am curious who does a first rate job, and the cost. I am under the impression that it is not much cheaper than buying a new barrel, but it does have some advantages, and if done right makes a great barrel.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

I just had a model 70 rebored to 35 Whelen by Cliff Labounty in Washington. He charged me $285 dollars plus shipping. He did a first rate job and the rifle shoots great. If you get serious about a rebore job let me know and I will pass on his number to you. Mart.

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mart,
Thanks,that was about the price I remembered the last time I explored it.

Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Jerry,

I just had a model 70 rebored to 35 Whelen by Cliff Labounty in Washington. He charged me $285 dollars plus shipping. He did a first rate job and the rifle shoots great. If you get serious about a rebore job let me know and I will pass on his number to you. Mart.

At $285, you can get a high quality new barrel from most of the big name barrel makers. The only way to justify reboring would be with an existing barrel that is so unique that it would cost a lot more to reproduce. Good luck.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff LaBounty has done a 338-06 and a 9.3x62 for me. This involved rebore as well as rechamber. Both had barrles with really nice sets of sights installed so I wanted to keep 'em. I am convinced his rebores net you the equivalent of any of the big name match grade barrels. Mine are. Also, you may be able to end up with a larger bore on a smaller contour than is readily available from most of the barrel guys if you so desire. He will rebore to .100" a side at the muzzle. He will also true up the action if, again, you so desire. The trick with Cliff is to get in when he is doing a run of the caliber you want, or you may wait some time to get your work done. Both of mine were completed within a couple of months.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently read an article about reboring. The author was mighty pleased with with his reboring job. The following website was given.

http://www.cutrifle.com/barrels.html

Posts: 10 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,

I am not aware of anybody that can rebarrel, chamber, and blue for much less than $285 and in fact I would be leery of anyone who claimed they could. My rifle went to LaBounty shooting well and came back shooting well, only a different caliber, with the original Wichester barrel, and it didn't have to be reblued. I'm not saying that is necessarily better than rebarreling, I just think it's about even price wise between reboring and rebarreling. Mart

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mingo, you can't get a top of the line barrel fitted, chambered and blued for that price, more like $450 to $500+. Cliff is the best there is in this business. One other thing you have to consider also is your stock inletting. You may need to either have that redone to fit the barrel or the barrel profile copied. Add that cost in.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what could a 32 Win Spl lever gun be rebored to? It's a model 94. I would love to get something in 35 caliber, with factory ammo available.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Cliff L. have a website?
Jerry

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Jerry M,
The website that Tex mentions is Danny Pederson at Fred Wells shop here in Prescott, AZ.
You could do no better.

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Mingo, you can't get a top of the line barrel fitted, chambered and blued for that price, more like $450 to $500+. Cliff is the best there is in this business. One other thing you have to consider also is your stock inletting. You may need to either have that redone to fit the barrel or the barrel profile copied. Add that cost in.

Thanks Chic Mart for pointing that out. I did forget about the fitting part of the job. My bad [Razz] ! Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Spike>
posted
Wayne York of Oregunsmithing does rebores. He aquried P.O. Ackley's equipment and does a gret job, I had him rebore an '06 to .35 Whelen and it's very accurate. I believe his price is in the $250 range.

oregunsmithing@pngusa.net

<eldeguello>
posted
Todd Getzen, I think you may be S.O.L. on the .32 Spec. There is nothing I am aware of that you can buy factory ammo for that would clean up your chamber completely, except MAYBE the .35 Remington and I don't know if this round will feed in a M94. But, there are probably some gunsmiths around that could tell you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd, I have a 30-30 that was done buy Ackley to 38-55, the rechamber and boring he told me made the most sense, so maybe thats an option for you

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Todd, I have a 30-30 that was done buy Ackley to 38-55, the rechamber and boring he told me made the most sense, so maybe thats an option for you

AND the .38-55 is an excellent cartridge.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the Top

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a standard wt pre 64 in 30cal can be bored to 9.3. Could you go .375 for the .376 Steyr? Would the original .30/06 chamber clean up? Thanks

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote