period. When the chamber refuses a no-go the clearence has
reached zero. The system I gave is safe, and will work for
any cartridge no matter how odd.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

partially necksize these cases and reload them again

I have an old mauser in 8x57 cal. that has a headspace problem. I neck size the brass and the cases are on there eighth cycle. Yes I do check them using a wire with a bend on the end inside before reloading. In my rifle records this rifle's serial number has a note warning about excess headspace.

When using factory loads or new brass in this truck rifle I use a trick to stop un-nessasary case head streching that I learned about from my gunsmithing school teacher.

Enjoy reloading and shooting your rifle, just neck size or partial size the brass.

<raindeer>
posted
Thank you all for your comments. They have been helpfull.
Still I have a question:

Since headspace is a defined nominal measure with minimum and maximum tolerances allowed for a given chamber and clearance is the actual 'space', determined by the combination of headspace and tolerances in cartridge measures, isn't the actual clearance in a chamber-cartridge combination much more important than the question whether only headspace is within limits? So shouldn't reloaders be more concerned about proper clearance?

If so, What are the tolerances for proper clearance?

'The only way how to learn to shoot is to shoot more'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be both, what Irv has said and what you have reiterated. You have described the technical term, Irv has described the practical explanation.

Look here, or here, or here. Lots of different approaches to the same thing.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

cheechako; Too bad you didn't read what I said before replying. "Scotch" tape is a hard clear tape. It is not
"masking tape". That is your first problem. I said to stick two layers together (to keep your Mike clean) and measure them. At this point I will have to help you, the tape thickness is one half the mike reading (about 0.002).
If you try this please do not force the bolt, just feel for the shoulder. For safety take the firing pin out.
Now to know the clearence between the case head and the breech it is necessary to count the layers of tape and multiply by the thickness.
The guy wanted to know how to measure "headspace" without a guage in order to check a particular cartridge in his gun.
I stand back of every word I have said.
Good Luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post

Headspace is the distance from the face of the breech to the cartridge base ( it is clearence)period.
Take a new commercial cartridge and add layers of tape to the base until you can just feel the shoulder touch as the
bolt starts to close. If you take the firing pin out it will
be much easier to feel. Pull the bolt and place the case under the extractor. To measure the tape stick two together
and use a Mike. This will give the headspace with that case.
Good luck!