THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on rechambering 30-06 to 300 h&h?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Model 70 Lightweight that I am thinking of having re chambered or re barreled from 30-06 to 300 H&H "just because".
From looking at cartridge dimensions I "think" this is possible.
Any ideas or thoughts about this? Suggestions?
Thanks.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that you must open the bolt face,and maybe have a magazine length problem too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep you can take a 30-06 to 300H&H. As stated you will need to open the bolt face. Remove the spacer from the mag box or get the longer factory unit. The alter the bolt stop and ejector to allow the bolt to travel far enough back.

Other options without changing the box, stop and ejector would be something like the 300Wmag 308 Norma etc.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my pre 64 30-06 to a 300 H&H many moons ago, and it worked fine, then later on I stuck a 375 barrel on it and reglassed it to fit..Its a pretty uncomplicated conversion..Open the bolt bolt face weld up the magazine to lengthen or replace it these days I suspect, change the bolt stop, cut the rear ring back on the right side for clearance, cutting a half moon on the rear of the front ring is optional but a good idea.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 to 300 H&H???

I just do not see the need for that modification.

Why go from a cartridge that you can get anywhere to one you cannot hardly find, especially in todays world, for just a few more fps.

If you need a little more ump, just use a premium bullet in the 30-06 of get some Federal High Energy ammo with a premium bullet...

However I will admit a lot of these "I want to do this to my gun" ideas baffle me... Confused

I guess I am just to practical... sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
you can buy a magnum boltface bolt on ebay cheaper than you can have the 30-06 one opened up,,, then sell your old one...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote