New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some oppinions on a stock purchase
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own a Beretta 687 baby framed 28ga that unfortunately has very plain-jane wood (I won the gun in a raffle and was extreemly excited and in no position to be picky about wood grain!!) I have found a guy that has a take-off stock that is EELL or EL that will fit my gun, but no fore end. He is asking $325 + shipping for the stock. My question is, does this look like EELL/EL wood and is this a reasonable price for a stock? Also, does anybody know where I might find a fore end and what a reasonable cost might be? Here are the pictures of the stock. Thanks.. AB

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty nice and appears to have good grain flow. If I had to guess, I'd say EL as I have an EELL that I think has a little more figure.

Suggest you look at some of the auction sites and examine the EELL/ELs. Some of those photos are quite good. I just did that and saw a couple of EELLs that (to me) aren't as attractive as the one you are looking at...

Regards,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 4 Beretta O/U'S An Early BLD -3 too a 687 EELL . The below picture is not my stock but closely

represents the color and grain of what my 687 EELL looks like.

This one looks more Like my SO6 EELL

This picture is an SO6 EELL , So it's like almost impossible to say with certainty what's what !.

Why would someone want to sell a stock off their Beretta ? Even if they had a custom stock made

and that's exactly what I had done on my other Beretta . I still kept the stock Stock as it's a multi

barrel set up and all fits in the break down case .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would not sell nice wood like that off of my gun. It looks like the EELL wood has more figure to it than what the stock I am being offered has, so maybe it is EL. Do you think that $325 is a fair price to pay for this stock?

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try Coles Gunsmithing they specialize in Beretta's and I have gotten some good deals on take off wood.
Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that finding a fore end to match this piece of wood could be difficult. Most stocks are sold in a matched set. Not impossible but to get a perfect match with good grain flow etc. could be difficult.
Any idea why he isn't selling the fore end with this buttstock?
With that said, I think it's a dang nice piece of wood and would definitely be an improvement over any plain jane wood.

*Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid*

*Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid*

Posts: 80 | Location: Paha Sapa, SD | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why isn't the Fore stock going with ?. I was curious as to that also .

I don't think it's a Bad Price , Yet I'm not the one purchasing it either .

If you have time do as others have suggested look around . I have no Idea as to what the cost

would be to produce a complete Stock for the Beretta . My stock maker retired Years ago and now I

must fend for myself . Obviously you would need a blank and it goes from there .

A stock maker needs to weigh in on this conversation as it's beyond my Realm of knowledge .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah.. I think the lack of a matching fore end is going to be a deal breaker for me. After doing some looking around at the above mentioned websites I am inclined to wait till I find a matching set. Also, for the life of me I feel like a moron, I can't remember if it is the 28 or the 20 that has side plates and they are in my safe... which was too large to move this time and is still in Missouri. Also, my last few emails to him asking why there is no fore end have been returned, but the answer to the fore end question always goes unanswered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has become a moot point anyways, he has sold the stock to someone else! Thank you very much to everyone who weighed it and gave info.