New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 X 350 Rem Mag????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know anything about this cartridge? Sounds like it might be a great all around "one gun" cartridge for a short action???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the case would be exactly the same capacities as a 338-06

338 wsm would be a far better choice... brass will be easy to get and make,and case capacity would be greater.

but, if that wasn't the option, there is nothing a 338x350 (or 338wsm) would do that a 338 win mag doesn't already do, except burn about 5 grains less powder.

I am all for wildcats, but the 338 win just is the right animal for the 33 bores... short enough to work in just about any action, enough capacity to drive a 250gr at 2500-2600 and you can load it down for kids.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about something for the new Montana short action......I have heard of feeding problems with the WSM rounds in some actions?????

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
GonHuntin,

I haven't tried the 338 on that case but I have rebarreled a few Rem 600 Magnums in 7mm and 30 cal with this case that work great for the short action. Because there are generally better calibers available, I would never open a standard action to take any of these rounds, BUT, if I had me a Rem 600 Magnum and wanted some fun I would go with either. Perhaps even necking one to 338 as you mention or 375 just for kicks.

Malm