What weight -your trigger?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
What is your preferred trigger weight?

Let's make it into a number of categories:

.22 Rimfire

Varmit/target Rifle A .223/6mm PPC etc...

General big game rifle- your ,270/3006/7RM/300mag etc

Dangerous rifle your .375 up to God knows where!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
For everything but varmint/target I prefer 2 1/4 pounds. This makes practice with different calibers more consistent (and betters prepares me for big game hunting. I know that most peopls prefer a heavier pull on hunting rifles, but this is where I certainly don't want to pull a shot because of a too heavy trigger. Let me say that I don't do much cold weather hunting anymore, so I don't worry about gloves or numb fingers [Big Grin] .
For varmints I prefer 1 1/2 pounds, and for target I prefer 6 to 8 ounces.

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting rifles are all set at 44ounces.My 40xbks is set at 29ounces for varmints and target work and my 10/22 has a replacement hammer and spring providing a three pound trigger.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting rifles are all set at 2 pounds (one of which is a Rem 700SS .375 H&H), same with my varmint guns.

My Remington 37 position rifle has a Canjar light pull set at 1.5 ounces. I have three prone smallbore rifles (Rem 40-XB, Rem 37 and Win 52C) all set at 8 ounces.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
My .375 Weatherby is set at 2 pounds straight and 8 ounces on the set. My .500 A-Square is 3 pounds and 4 ounces on the set (has a Can-Jar trigger, rarely use the set).
Wife's 7x57 Brno has a single set trigger, 3 pounds and 4 ounces on the set.
I have a German Guild rifle, it is 3 pounds on a two-stage military trigger. It has a really modified spring.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kel-Tec P11 that has a 14 lb trigger pull

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
On game shooting rifles, whether for big or small critters, I much prefer a DST, set at a couple of ounces, so it goes when merely touched. One has to practice a lot to get comfortable, proficient and safe with such a rig, but once mastered, there's NOTHING as good. Otherwise, I like 2.5 to 3 # on a single-stage trigger. Hunting handguns, 3 pounds. [Wink]

[ 07-20-2003, 18:41: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
2.75 lbs for big game rifles.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
22 rimfire (walk around) - 3 lbs

Varmint rifles - 24 Oz.

Big game rifles - 3.25 lbs

Don't any DG rifles.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this is for .22 RF...
For training I want a (very) heavy adjustable trigger, so I can get used to it on other guns. I feel this would help a lot with a lot of things.
For other things, 2 lbs.

Posts: 80 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 lbs for big game and rimfire rifles.

4.5 lbs for AR-15 to comply with NRA and CMP highpower service rifle rules.

Don't have a varminter, but will build a HP match rifle on a M70 or Savage varminter and the trigger will be set between 1.75 to 2 lbs.

I don't have any DG rifles, nor am I planning on one.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a M-70 with a worked on trigger at 42oz.,I liked it so much,that's what I set the rest at. 42oz. to 48oz.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 1 pound trigger on my varmint rifles and a 2 pound trigger on my hunting rifles. I've been using triggers at these weights for about 35 years now.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I shoot a two ounce trigger on a .223 Rem 40X bench rest rifle, that belongs to a buddie. All my hunting rifles are set at three pounds. The light trigger will keep you honest on the pull, I make a point to use it often just for that purpose. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 2.5 on varmint rifles and 3 to 3.5 lbs on my big bore DGR's.....as long as they break clean.

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 2.75 lb. is best for me on big game rifles. That's light enough to shoot well but not so light that I fire before I'm ready

I use .22s for practice shooting so I try to have same action, weight, sight, and trigger pull on .22 as on real rifle.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
What is your preferred trigger weight?

Only one of my .22s was reset, a Marlin 60 at about 3 pounds. The others are mostly Remington 5XXs and Savage 24s in their original condition.

My centerfires are set between 3 and 4 pounds except for a Savage 24V, which is as it left the factory.

I saw a post here awhile back that referred to a Savage trigger as being like "...pulling a cat off a screen door...".

Posts: 14597 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have them all set at about 3#. As Ray said, they have to break cleanly.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are all you guys SURE about your trigger pulls? Back in the dark ages I shot on the college rifle team (22s) and all our rifles had to be set on 3#. For the sort of shooting we were doing, I would have preferred a LITTLE bit less. But my point is that was a damn light trigger.

Extra light triggers are cool for positional shooting, target and fixed varmit stuff...but for the hunter who MOVES and makes do with what comes up........I dunno.

Personally, I think how much creepy crud a trigger has BEFORE it breaks is more important than the actual pull. Whether a trigger is 3# or 5#...a shooter can and will get used to that. But a trigger that creeps and drags and grinds before breaking is a POS and you'll never have a clue when the damn thing is going to fire.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote