New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering epoxy??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several years ago I had a horse roll over on my M70 338 Alaskan. the stock broke in two at the grip and split vertically forward through the magazine well and into the forend. I had a replacement stock made but it didn't fit as well as the original stock, so I epoxied the original back together and put two bolts through at the recoil lug and between trigger and magazine. another was put through the grip for further reinforcement. It has worked well for over ten years, so it is clear that the fix has worked. But I am wondering if the epoxy is strong enough to take some checkering. As noted, the stock was broken through the grip and I would like to checker it with the original pattern in the spots where wood was replaced by epoxy.

If checkered, will the epoxy be durable enough to hold the points or will they just wear off?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We checker epoxy all of the time when we do stock repairs at the shop. Points hold up fine. Epoxy is at least as hard as wood.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

The common Devcons and Gorilla glues don't checker so well because they have a flexiblizer in them. But they can be checkered. Runny Acraglass and most of the high tech commercial epoxies like US Composites #635 and West Systems #105 checker beautifully !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote