THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a new action...Now what to turn it into?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Greetings all, I just picked up a new action at a gunshow. It is an early '60's vintage FN Supreme Magnum action (commerical Mauser 98 action). It is so new there isn't even a worn spot on the bolt face.

Right now I own a .243, .300 H&H, .35 WAI and a .375 H&H. So what should I think about turning this into?

Considering my taste for vintage calibers, my choices right now are .257 Wby, .338 Win, or .416 Rigby.

I'm mostly going to be hunting desert Mulies and elk. Perhaps a trip up to Alaska soon and maybe one day to Africa. But I'll be spending 85% of my time in Arizona.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a .416 Rigby will fit, but you decide in favor of a .338, then .338-.416, or .338-.378, or .340 Wby, or .338 RUM. Reach out and slam!

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Such a tough problem!

If it's keeping you awake at night you could give it to me and let me worry about it!

Looking at your calibers why not a 9.3x??. It fits your bent for traditional calibers and would probably get more use than a .4xx.

Don

<Ozhunter>
posted
What about a wildcat 416/404 on a 2.5" case, then no cutting out of the action etc for the longer cases.
Or if the action is already made to take the 375H&H length, a 416 Rem Mag.

Still a 338 would work well fro what you suggest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.257 Weatherby get's my vote, it's a great Arizona caliber, and fill a gap in your rifles.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<DEATHMERCHANT308>
posted
What about one of the New breeds of "Short Magnums"?

Good SHOOTin,

Death Merchant

------------------
Respect, Honor, discipline, Values for life!

Moderator: www.assaultweb.net Gunsmithing Forums

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Not that the short mags are bad but I wouldnr waste a mag action on a short round. My vote goes to the 416 or 338..

416!

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You're hunting desert mulies and don't have a 270? Jack O. is turning in his grave. A classic cartridge in a classic action. A 280 is another thought. Either of these rounds fills the biggest gap in your collection.

The 416 Rigby,IMHO, leaves too little metal in the standard 98. I'm having a 416 Rem done in an '09 Argey, but I'd rather use your action if I could find one like it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I read your post too fast. Its opened already. Then I say 270 Wby or 7 Mag (neither are my favorite, but both are widely flexible) or 416 Rem (it will sit in the safe a bit more, but its almost a classic).

You could always unload that action on me and find another that has not been opened up.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Of your listed choices, I'd go 338.

As an alternative, 7mm Rem Mag.

Based on your elk/Alaska/Africa scenario, I'd go the 338. If you plan to use it on your local deer (and elk), I'd go with the 7mm Mag.

<leo>
posted
You need a 7mm so bad it hurts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JLHeard, I would go with the .338 given your shooting desires, or a .300 win mag.

But rather than give it to Don, sell it to me, I am salivating already. Those are gems.

Just re-read your post, you already have a .300 H & H and a .375. You have it covered. Definitely sell it to me.

Chic Worthing

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 01-14-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
If your guns where in my safe, and that action in my hands I'd be down to 3 calibers. 257 Wthby, 264 Win, 270 wthby. If you want to take it to africa a 416 Rigby. You are completely set for elk and Alaska but mule deer you have that big gap between 243 and 300 H&H. The 300 H&H and the 35 Whelan are Excellent elk guns you might regrete another elk gun.

I really like the 6.5's myself, but a Weatherby with a short throat could be a sweet shooter. Good Luck.

<buffalo_buster>
posted
No mention of .404 Jeffrey???

<JOHAN>
posted

If your action is a long FN supreme I would opt for a 458 lott for AFRICA. I Think you already got the most for all other hunting. 416 Rigby is not bad either.

If it's a short action go for a 7mm, 338 or 9,3 of some kind that you like.

/ Johan