New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arge style floor plate release catch
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am reworking a Yugo 24/47 bottom metal into a hinged floorplate, Arge type.Would plain 1020 cold rolled steel be robust enough for the catch or do I need something stiffer, maybe drill rod of some sort. Keeping in mind it has to take bluing. Suggestions please. Oh,I know this isn't practical, I'm doing it for the fun of it, buying custom bottom metal would be much easier.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJRivard:
... I'm doing it for the fun of it, buying custom bottom metal would be much easier.

What fun would buying it be?

I'm making mine for my argie bottom metal out of mild steel.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make it from plain bar stock, then get some "Kasenit No 1" and treat the lip of the catch when you are done. It will never wear out. I also treat the notch for the safety on the striker, the bolt handle root, and the rear of the bolt with this, then heat, quench and temper. If you polish and harden these areas, the function is much smoother and it will still funtion 100 years from now.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As it happens, I rescued a large container of Kasenit from the dumpster of a maintenence shop my company way closing a few years back. I will use cold rolled steel and harden the catch area. Thamks for the tip.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote