New
Find
Notify
Tools

9x19 in 9 Largo Chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It has been accepted for years that 9x19 works fine in Astra 400s chambered for 9mm Largo. (9mm Bayard Bergman, 9x23, call it what you will.)

I got curious and ran a magazine full of mild 9x19 through my Star B in 9mm Largo. Seemed to work fine. Fed, chambered, fired, functioned, ejected brass a couple of feet. Recovered cases looked perfectly normal.

Is there a hazard I am overlooking?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 9x19 well head space on the extractor and well fire most of the time. But well you trust it do do so when your life is on the line I have taken several largo barrels and converted them to 9x19 by putting a head space ring into them. Works fine.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<magnum_no>
posted
Why don�t you use the 9x19 in a 9x19 barrel, and use the proper amo in that fine old gun? Starline(?) makes bras for 9mm Largo.

Magne
Norway

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reasonable point, PDog.

And you get a reasonable answer.

I don't use the Star for a carry gun. I use it as a plinker. I knew about the conversion, but have no desire to convert it. I have about 150 Largo cases made from .223 in the days when you could not get boxer primed Largo brass and I was playing with Destroyer carbines and an MP 34. I also have 250 cases that are shortened 9mm Win Mag.

Were I to put the Star to serious use, I would load it with ammo loaded in those cases. I got curious. I knew that 9x19 functions in some guns chambered for 9 Largo so I gave it a brief trial in my gun.

Now, I am waiting to see if anyone offers me a sensible reason not to shoot up the thousand rounds or so of 9x19 plinker ammo that I no longer have a 9x19 pistol for.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
leftoverdj your expreince all is just like mine I started out useing 223 brass brought some win mag brass then starline largo brass. I then brought a couple of new largo barrels I converted the older ones to 9x19.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Left

The 9 x 19 it's a tapered case design the 9 x 19 it's a straigth case , then the base of the x 19 headspace in the rear of the chamber of the x 23 , measure cases , and see where the case stops and don't pass inside of the largo chamber.

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote