New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK guys. You are the go to bunch when I have needed help in the past...so....I have a Weatherby CFP (Centerfire Pistol). It is a bolt pistol in 7mm-08. I want to make it into a switch barrel and don't want to spend a king's ransom. How do I do it? What kind of money and I looking at?

Thanks in advance

Never allow the perfect to be the enemy of the necessary.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, buy a barrel vise and appropriate action wrench. Second, have a gunsmith fit a barrel, in a caliber with the same head size, and you are in business.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the buying a barrel vise and action wrench. My first step, however, might be to contact Weatherby. If they will fit other barrels to your action, that might be the least expensive way to go. Just ship your action, sans barrel, to them & request they install the barrel of your choosing.
Failing that, your only other option is fitting by a 'smith. You might run into a situation there, as most 'smiths won't fit a new barrel without "truing" your action. This will, in effect, render your original barrel useless. Be sure what you want to do is fully understood up front. That way you can avoid problems that might crop up.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how you would go getting an action wrench made for a Wby if your objective is to change barrels while the gun is assembled.

If you gunsmith wants face of the action etc, then he can machine the shoulder of the Wby factory barrel back and make a washer for it so you can still use the barrel.

One other bug is that Wby rifles like other rifles that have the front action screw at the very front of the actions (as opposed to the M70 or Rem 700 system) often need some bedding under the first half inch or inch of the barrel and that is not what you want for a switch barrel.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
On my switch barrel XP-100R(which is apart for a new stock paint job right now!!!), I just double pinned the recoil lug(won't have to worry about that on your Weatherby), bedded the action good, and torqued the barrel using a barrel vise towards THE END of the barrel. Only torqueing to 35-40 ft/lbs, using the pistol grip on the stock to torque.

Sounds billy, but it works....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...

Never allow the perfect to be the enemy of the necessary.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote